Raspberry and Blueberry bushes

• 8 Replies

Kagganz

« on: October 27, 2008, 09:56 »
I bought 2 Raspberry bushes and 1 blueberry bush yesterday. They were being stored outside so I thought thats what I could do.

When I got them home and read up about them (I know I went about that the wrong way round didn't I?)   :roll: It seems that I should only plant them outside in spring. (They are going to be put in large containers)

So heres the question, do you think I would be able to plant them in the large containers now that I have for them and put them in a sheltered area of the garden? Or would you leave them in the pots that they are in and wait till Spring. The variety of the rasberry bush is Autumn Bliss.

Thanks muchly Karen  :wink:

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 10:48 »
I would put them straight into the pots they are destined for....if they were going into a lottie then I would plant them now too!! ;)

Kagganz

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 11:05 »
Thank you.........theres a bit of sun shining here now so I think I'll pop 'em in now  :D

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 17:59 »
All the blueberries I have can only be watered by rain water and have to live in erracatious soil (spelling?).  I've got mine in very large plastic pots.  

There is something to do with acid levels for blueberry bushes but I'm not sure if it is high or low acid levels they need.  They are a bit like Acers in that respect.

I planted three bushes in June (it's better to have a couple for pollination) The leaves are starting to drop now but they have responded very well to their position which is sheltered by the shed and patio wall.  

Net the plants even if they are going in pots.  Birds love blueberrys more than any other furuit I grow on my plot.  

Yep. I have a sunken patio on my plot.  I sunk it, and it was very hard work.

Hope this helps.

It's a bit of a dark art this fruit lark.  I can't say I understand everything that I'm told to do, but so far it seems to be working.  I need to read more but I suspect that I'll read a fruit book and discover that all I've learned is that I know less than when I started. :?
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Dominic

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 18:26 »
They do better in the other compost, but dont need it, a handful of chicken poo every now and again will solve the acid soil problem.

Mine are all in the garden, planted them out now.

Not sure they should ever be in pots really, they need a lot of nutrients to produce fruit
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 18:38 »
The raspberry should be soaked well in a bucket for some time and then planted out in fairly wet soil and kept moist.   It will survive well over winter so long as it is planted soon and does not dry out.

The blueberry should be planted in a pot as it needs very acid conditions not usually found in most areas in the soil.   Watering should be from rainwater as has already been said to keep the soil acid and the "compost" should be topped up with (acid) peat.

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 18:39 »
All I know for sure about blueberries is that they need acid soil.
Most trees and shrubs (including raspberries) can/should be planted anytime from now to spring. Plant them out as soon as you can. If you can't get them planted straight away, sticking them in a pot is better than leaving them in their packaging but is no substitute for going in the ground.  ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Dominic

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 19:16 »
I have a blueberry doing perfectly well in normal soil, I've thrown a handful of pelleted chicken poo at it, along with the usual npk pellets.

Kagganz

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 12:07 »
Thanks all, some great advice there........and I understood it all too   :D

Karenx

xx
Raspberry canes and blueberry bushes

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 20:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark
xx
blueberry bushes

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 00:42
by Trillium
xx
Blueberry bushes

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 22:16
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 36 queries.