Quinoa

• 16 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Quinoa
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:59 »
Really want to try and grow quinoa next year. Wondering if you get a reasonable crop on an allotment (can you grow enough to make it worth while?).
I'd like to grow this so we can use it through the winter instead of rice and to bulk out our meals.

BabbyAnn

Re: Quinoa
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 13:24 »
If you grow the proper grain variety, the seed heads are massive and generous so it's do-able.  I just grew some out of curiosity (one of those - can I?) and once I realised what it was, it made me laugh.  It's related to the Fat Hen weed so if you get a lot of this weed on your plot, it might be worth sowing the proper seed at home and plant out otherwise you'll never be sure if you are cultivating weeds or a crop.

The biggest task is the washing - the seed is coated in a saponin which is a sort of natural soap which birds find unpalatable.  You have to wash this off and it takes several buckets of water to do it before thoroughly drying the grain.  If you don't wash, you'll find the grain bitter tasting.  I only grew a few plants which gave me ample seed but to grow on a larger scale, it'll be the washing and drying that you need to think about.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 21:02 »
I love quinoa and plan to grow a bit in my yard among the flowers so I don't waste garden space. I found this article very helpful: HERE.

You say you want to bulk up meals with quinoa, but do remember that quinoa is mostly protein and about 1/2 cup cooked quinoa is a proper sized serving. Here's some nutritional info: LINK.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 21:13 »
That's very interesting I hadn't considered growing it,but may well give it a go. I do know it is unique in that it has all 13 amino acids.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 21:15 »
Really interesting - OH eats an inordinate amount of quinoa, so this is probably worth a go. I hadn't even thought that you could grow it here.
Thanks!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 21:39 »
mine was a disaster only 2' tall suposed to be really tall guess it out old friend the weather may try again.
You can grow amarinth grain but they were the same stunted plants too.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 09:39 »
Thank you for the link Trillium. I have a go at growing this in the spring. The protein is a real bonus for veggie meals too.  :) Hope we have a better year for growing so we all have pleny of grain to store next winter.  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 07:26 »
If you grow the proper grain variety, the seed heads are massive and generous so it's do-able.  I just grew some out of curiosity (one of those - can I?) and once I realised what it was, it made me laugh.  It's related to the Fat Hen weed so if you get a lot of this weed on your plot, it might be worth sowing the proper seed at home and plant out otherwise you'll never be sure if you are cultivating weeds or a crop.

The biggest task is the washing - the seed is coated in a saponin which is a sort of natural soap which birds find unpalatable.  You have to wash this off and it takes several buckets of water to do it before thoroughly drying the grain.  If you don't wash, you'll find the grain bitter tasting.  I only grew a few plants which gave me ample seed but to grow on a larger scale, it'll be the washing and drying that you need to think about.

I rather like the idea of growign quinoa. Tried amarinth two years ago but it was a disappointing yield, but if you say the crop from quinoa is worthwhile I might give it a go next season.

Washing it all will be a bit of a faff, but siting out in the sun with some buckets of water ..... doesn't sound too bad  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 09:34 »
I think it might be one of those jobs I could talk my children into doing too.

surbie100

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 09:46 »
According to the link that Trillium posted you can put the seeds into a mesh bag and through the rinse cycle of the washing machine.
Depending on the vastness of my crop, I might just try that - I don't think I could bribe my step-daughter into washing it by hand!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 10:27 »
According to the link that Trillium posted you can put the seeds into a mesh bag and through the rinse cycle of the washing machine.

I have visions of a hole in the mesh bag and all that seed falling out into the drum - and then picking seeds out of future clothes washing  :lol:  It sounds like a plan though - good luck with it.

I found that the initial washes got rid of dirt and any bugs (the water was brown and scummy with bits floating in it) then the saponin took over the next washes and seemed endless.  Reading over my garden notes, I recall that I got so fed up with it that one day I left the seed in the bucket of water for a good 12 hours before tipping it out and a final rinse after seemed to do the trick.

surbie100

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 12:36 »

I have visions of a hole in the mesh bag and all that seed falling out into the drum - and then picking seeds out of future clothes washing  :lol: 

Good point well made!   :D

I think I will reconsider... :nowink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 19:19 »
I'm reading all this with interest

Washing machine -- not so sure the seed would not escape, like you've said

Soaking for 12 hours once clean sounds my kind of approach......

I'll be looking up some seed suppliers I reckon  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 19:25 »
I plan to just go into my kitchen cupboard and take a handful of quinoa and plant it when it's time.  8)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 19:29 »
I plan to just go into my kitchen cupboard and take a handful of quinoa and plant it when it's time.  8)

Why didn't I think of that? Doh!

OK, so Sunny is having a bit of a daft day  ::)

xx
Quinoa

Started by Muls on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 13:30
by ghost61
xx
Quinoa

Started by strider84 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 23:13
by gobs
xx
quinoa

Started by TinaD on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 17:42
by Bobbeh
xx
quinoa

Started by greenun on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 12:52
by savbo

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 37 queries.