quinoa

• 2 Replies

greenun

quinoa
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:23 »
I haven't seen anything about Quinoa hereabouts, (pronounced Kinwah).
I reckon the Uk would be ideal for this plant.It likes cold weather although a frost would set back flowering. I bought a kilo (2.2lbs) for $au8.00. It is a native of South America and was eaten by the incas. It is a close relative of Amaranth another good food source.
The seed of Quinoa is full of health giving goodies. Google it. The oz government ag. dept is trialling it.
The seed has a coating of saponin dust which has to be rinsed off as it is a mild insecticide to protect the seeds. I boiled some up and tried it. It was pretty tasteless actually but as the protein is good for you it's worth putting on the menu.
The leaves are eaten like spinach. all the health claims seem to be true but judge for yourself. One pound will sow half an acre. They grow 3 - 6 foot tall with big seed heads containing hundreds of seeds.

paintedlady

Re: quinoa
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:32 »
I'm growing some quinoa as an experiment for the first time this year  :D  Quinoa from the supermarket can be a bit pricey for what you get so I'm keen to find out how it works out, and if it is worth the effort with the threshing and washing etc.  It sounds like you get a lot of seed per plant (so have plenty of seed to grow the following year as well)

It germinates and grows really quickly BUT .............  OMG, it looks exactly like fathen (same family) and when I have fathen sprouting up here there and everywhere (unfortunately fathen seeds are in the manure pile) it can be a bit confusing to know which is which!  It's a good job I didn't sow the quinoa direct on the plot but in pots at home and then planted them on otherwise I would be cultivating weeds instead by now.  As it is, I feel I have to tell people that my precious plants aren't weeds  :lol:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

savbo

Re: quinoa
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:52 »
when i read the reply I thought what on earth is fathen (like father with an n).... doh

reminds me of when I was a ranger and a new member of staff came in and said they'd seen a new-thatch...

it was a nuthatch...

xx
Quinoa

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 20:25
by Madame Cholet
xx
Quinoa

Started by Muls on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 13:30
by ghost61
xx
Quinoa

Started by strider84 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 23:13
by gobs
xx
quinoa

Started by TinaD on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 17:42
by Bobbeh

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 36 queries.