garlic and shallotts

• 20 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: garlic and shallotts
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 20:50 »
Mmmm- so you guys also like your garlic... I only grow 100 plants a year!! A few varieties from my own brands and some that I collect from friends from time to time.. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

AnneB

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 07:02 »
If your on poorly drained heavy soil, they will be prone to disease.

Totty

I have never had much luck with autumn planted onions or shallots. Although last year I tried the method recommended by the Real Seed Catalogue of over wintering Sturon plants grown from seed. Slugs ate all but two of the plants! The two that did survive lasted the winter no problem but were not much earlier or bigger than the sets I  planted or seeds I sowed in the spring. I do hear of some people having more success. Maybe they are on lighter soil as you say.

I have a good soil but with a layer of clay underneath so the site is prone to waterlogging.   We therefore cultivate in raised beds.   The only crops I plant out before spring are garlic in the autumn and shallots in January.   I have been successful every year with these.   I never bother overwintering broad beans now as they do suffer, but I have never had slugs go for garlic or shallots, although they eat pretty much everything else. 

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 08:16 »
I reckon it was because the onions were grown from seed in the polytunnel so were so sweet and tender the slugs couldn't resist. ::)

There is a field bean called Wizard which is very tasty as a broad bean and is totally winter hardy. I sowed a whole bed at the beginning of this month, as I did last year and got a massive yield. They sold OK at market aswell.
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

JohnB47

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 16:32 »
Mmmm- so you guys also like your garlic... I only grow 100 plants a year!! A few varieties from my own brands and some that I collect from friends from time to time..

Well, I suppose if you sell or give away a lot of them, fair enough. But even 100 is an amazing quantity to me. I planted about 20 a few weeks ago and if they all do well, that will probably be more than enough to eat and for 'seed' next year.

Steveharford

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 16:39 »
Well I managed to get another 50 Albigensian in. Got about 50 more to go but getting dark now and also a bit nippy. Ground a bit wet but not too much so. Especially after mixing sand and compost in. Hmm just realised I forgot to add the bfb so it will just have to be spread on top tomorrow. Most of my other garlic is showing well with just a few no shows. Hopefully they are just running late or I will have to infill with whatever variety I have left.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 18:28 »
I know 100 is far too many but i mince it, fill jars and add a bit of oil then mic for 4 minutes to get hottish.. lasts for ever in the fridge.. well it would last if we didnt give away and eat so much!!

xx
drying shallotts

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 13:39
by arugula
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 29 queries.