Raspberries are dying

• 10 Replies

Jackypam

Raspberries are dying
« on: June 16, 2014, 21:59 »
The autumn ones are going brown and crispy from the bottom leaves up. The summer ones have a few brown leaves but are fruiting well and look generally ok ish. The autumn ones have never really thrived and are only about 2feet tall at best.  Help please.

snowdrops

Re: Raspberries are dying
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 22:07 »
How long have they been in? Are they too dry/wet. Have you weeded around them,they are shallow rooted.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Jackypam

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 21:43 »
This is their third summer.  I hand weed round them. They could be too dry I guess, but this has been going on since it was pretty wet.  I'll take some photos tomorrow and see if that helps to identify the problem.  I have just been hoping they would recover by themselves

4 Seasons

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 23:38 »
The autumn ones are going brown and crispy from the bottom leaves up. The summer ones have a few brown leaves but are fruiting well and look generally ok ish. The autumn ones have never really thrived and are only about 2feet tall at best.  Help please.

I take it that you've never had a crop from your autumn ones then?

When (if) you ever do you'll probably wish that you hadn't. They are nothing like summer raspberries which are sweet and soft and perfumed. Autumn ones are sour bullets in my experience.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 23:46 »
Are the autumn ones in a slightly different location?  Might they actually have been waterlogged at some point?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 07:41 »
I take it that you've never had a crop from your autumn ones then?

When (if) you ever do you'll probably wish that you hadn't. They are nothing like summer raspberries which are sweet and soft and perfumed. Autumn ones are sour bullets in my experience.

My JoanJ Autumn raspberries are large and delicious - so I think you are either unlucky with the soil where yours are planted or with the variety you choose  :(

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 09:46 »
I have a similar problem - Planted bare root canes Joan J in February into manured ground (last autumn) and they have not grown well just a few leaves from the canes  no sign of any primocanes from below.  Perviously I had Autumn Bliss in the same spot with no problems.  Ground: Worcestershire clay well cultivated.

Mike.

crh75

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 09:51 »
My Joan J were very slow the first year and only really grew leaves on the old cane stubs, very few new canes.  The following years they have been a mass of growth.  I think this first year just given them time to grow roots and don't expect too much.  Remember they will be there a long time.

Jackypam

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 22:01 »
Can't get the camera to work. The canes in the centre of the bed now look dead.  The summer ones are fruiting ok with just a few brown bits.  The end autumn ones are a bit pale and not really thriving looking. Oh dear. This is year three for fruiting.

miguelg

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 08:19 »
My autumn raspberries didn't fruit for two years running having cut them down to the ground each year. This year I cut them down to about half way and they are now fruiting wonderfully, just behind the summer raspberries. I can't remember which variety they are but they taste much better than the summer ones although they seem to be attracting raspberry beetle which the summer ones didn't.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 09:12 »
Like MoS above I have JoanJ which have an abundance of delicious fruit every year.

I have a similar problem - Planted bare root canes Joan J in February into manured ground (last autumn) and they have not grown well just a few leaves from the canes  no sign of any primocanes from below.  Perviously I had Autumn Bliss in the same spotwith no problems.  Ground: Worcestershire clay well cultivated.

I've always understood that you should not plant new canes in the same place as the old ones for several years.

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:15 by mumofstig »

xx
raspberries - shoots dying off

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 19:56
by David.
xx
Joan J raspberries dying off

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2013, 20:04
by JohnB47
xx
Autumn raspberries dying

Started by rawrecruit on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 14:06
by Ivor Backache
xx
Everything is dying!!!Help

Started by WhippetMaster on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 14:11
by DD.

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 30 queries.