Windbreak for outdoor toms.

• 7 Replies

allot2learn

Windbreak for outdoor toms.
« on: February 21, 2012, 22:04 »
I'm looking at growing some outdoor toms for cooking this year and thought about trying to provide some shelter from the winds and maybe even trying to get a little sunspot for them. I'm thinking of a box out hurst greenshaft peas around them. These grow to around 2.5 to 3 feet and I'm hoping would provide a suitable windbreak.
Good idea, or not.  8)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Windbreak for outdoor toms.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 22:16 »
The problem as I see it is that you'll need to sow the peas fairly early in order to avoid pea moth.

They will then mature before they'll be any use as a windbreak, although you could of course just leave the dead pea straw in!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:45 »
My plot is in a bit of a wind funnel when the wind blows a certain direction so I know what you mean about providing a wind break.  The easiest has been to erect a wooden barrier/fence on the north side of the bed - it's not just protection from the wind but the sun warms up the fence and gives the bed a micro environment which is the other criteria when growing tomatoes outdoors.

LilacSandy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:51 »
I grow about 30 plants outside each year as we use tons of pasta sauce. 

I put the cordon at the back and the bush plants in front to shield them a little without shading them too much.  I am on an open field and have not had any trouble with them getting battered too much.

Apart from the dreaded Bl..ht I find them the easiest of plants to grow, they are happy in most soils and even in the drought conditions here in the east they continued to flourish.

stompy

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:56 »
How about using debris netting and boxing them in that way with 4 wooden posts 3ft high.

This would shelter them from the main winds but also let enough through to allow good air circulation and also let enough air through as to not cause wind turbulance/edys inside the box.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22 »
How about using debris netting and boxing them in that way with 4 wooden posts 3ft high.

This would shelter them from the main winds but also let enough through to allow good air circulation and also let enough air through as to not cause wind turbulance/edys inside the box.

I was thinking along the same lines.  A solid fence can cause other turbulence; something a little more permeable would probably have the effect you're after.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

allot2learn

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:39 »
Good idea, Stompy. I have plenty of debris netting so I'll give it a go. Thanks a bunch.  :)

stompy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 11:44 »
Your very welcome  ;)  :lol:

xx
outdoor toms.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 20:56
by ozziebob
xx
outdoor toms

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 18:19
by David.
question
Spacings for outdoor Toms?

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 17:26
by Lee G
question
Outdoor Toms', Too late?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 21:20
by billathome65

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 29 queries.