Growing cucumbers up a trellis - no greenhouse

• 22 Replies

Snoop

Growing cucumbers up a trellis - no greenhouse
« on: March 18, 2014, 15:38 »
Last year was the first time I tried growing cucumbers. Bought a couple of plants from a nursery and let them trail across the ground. One died, the other produced a few fruit.

This year I have some Burpless seeds and was pondering on whether to let them trail or help them up a trellis. I don't have a greenhouse and it is quite windy here, though I could find a relatively sheltered spot.

So, could I grow them up a trellis, do you think, and, if I can, how close do the 'warps and wefts' of the trellis need to be?

Thanks for any advice.

m1ckz

Re: Growing cucumbers up a trellis - no greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 15:41 »
i normaly tie mine to canes...so pallets should be ok to  gl

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 15:57 »
I've grown Burpless up a rickety old trellis, up the side of my shed, up until last year when the trellis disintegrated in the breeze  :D  I grew it in a pot by the way. They are hardy cucs but will need to be tied in to their support as they grow.  I always got lots of fruits!   :)

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 16:01 »
i grew them last year for the first time, but that was in a poly tunnel. i grew them up wires, and this year will pinch out the side shoots to train them in a more orderly cordon as they went a bit mad last year.

i think someone on here suggested running them up and along the plastic mesh (the orange stuff they use for road words, temp car parks, that sort of thing). can't remember who it was now but seemed like a good idea, not so sure it would be so easy to fit to my tunnel so i'm going with wires again this year.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 16:15 »
here are mine from last year up a simple trellis. I tied them on it initially with some string but then the tendrils did the rest of the tying for me. Make sure you get a variety designed to be grown outdoors though.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 16:19 by Eightball »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 16:30 »
Burpless is an outdoor variety so should thrive on any kind of trellis once it gets going. I tied mine onto a single cane last year, and led it across the top of a cloche with a solid tube through it. Fruited well enough and it kept the cucs off the ground
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 16:55 »
Brilliant, guys. Thanks for the advice.

Eightball, your picture was especially helpful. I have some of the selfsame mesh, so looks like I should be able to do something very similar.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 18:43 »
I do same as Eightball. 3-4 plants along 1 metre-wide mesh that goes 1.5m high, tied to canes. My marketmores love it.
cukes.jpg

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39 »
Surbie: I do same as Eightball. 3-4 plants along 1 metre-wide mesh that goes 1.5m high, tied to canes. My marketmores love it.

Hi Surbie, I didn't know you could grow them that close. I'll have to check the seed instructions. Can you get more in the space because they're growing up rather than along?

Sue33

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 10:41 »

we always grow our cucumbers up a trellis, less rotting and easier to find them  :)

surbie100

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 10:52 »
Hi Surbie, I didn't know you could grow them that close. I'll have to check the seed instructions. Can you get more in the space because they're growing up rather than along?

Mebbe 4 is packing them a little close.  :unsure: They are in a 1.2m wide raised bed, but the mesh is made 1m wide, so the 2 at the corners are leaning in a little to get up the mesh.  I plant them in hills of rotted manure about 15cm high and the planting holes have chicken pellets/BFB/growmore in the bottom (whatever is to hand).

I find the trellis has to be really sturdy because the vines romp over the top, round the back etc and the cucumbers are really heavy - there are a couple of monsters on the photo! And my site's quite windy.

madcat

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 12:05 »
I grow them up the country folks idea of trellis - sheep netting!   :D   We have several short 'fences' of sheep netting between posts (with a bracing bar) up which grow cucs and autumn squash.  Very efficient way of packing them in - but the ground needs to be very nutrient rich and you have to be prepared to water.  Give them that and a bit of sunshine and you will get to meet the most amazing triffids!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 15:41 »
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I'm definitely going to give it a go. I have just been out to check the beds. The more sheltered bed is 2.5 m long but not fantastic soil. The other possible spot is much better soil but prone to gale-force winds at certain times of year. I think I'll try it in the more sheltered spot and just work in loads of muck and compost.

I was thinking about three Burplesses, as there are only two of us and my partner isn't too keen on cucumbers, though they could very well turn out a bit like lots of other veg he said he didn't like: eat them straight from the plot and all of a sudden they're delicious!

surbie100

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 15:44 »
they could very well turn out a bit like lots of other veg he said he didn't like: eat them straight from the plot and all of a sudden they're delicious!

:lol:  :D I have the same at home. He looks at it, sniffs it suspiciously, tastes it then declares it the best thing I've grown so far.... :nowink:

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 17:07 »
I grow cucumbers outside up and along wires on the garden wall. I can't complain about the results. :)

xx
outdoor cucumbers - trellis or obelisk or other

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 11:37
by Carrotcake
xx
Growing Cucumbers in the Greenhouse- Watering, Feeding,Disease.**Pics now added*

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 16:03
by sean moore
xx
growing courgettes up a trellis

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 21, 2014, 17:53
by Auntiemogs
xx
Growing squashes up trellis

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2018, 09:25
by madcat

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 30 queries.