Growing cucumbers up a trellis - no greenhouse

• 22 Replies

madcat

Re: Growing cucumbers up a trellis - no greenhouse
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 18:07 »
I can't complain about the results. :)

But ...  :unsure:  you are a gardener! You cant just stop there.  :ohmy: I thought it was in the job description, to say "cant complain" and then do just that at length including the weather/ pests/ birds/ seed suppliers/ spouse/ child/ neighbours <delete as appropriate>.   

But then - you are a Fairy plotmother, so perhaps you have a different rule book?   ???  :nowink:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 21:44 »
I just wave my wand,and..........as if by magic, wonderful things happen! ::) I WISH!!!!
But can't complain!!!!!!

Snoop

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 11:59 »
Am reviving this thread: I've just been tying up my Burpless cucumbers and so far they're doing really well. Already have a few cucs forming. Looks like they'll be far more productive than any cucs I've grown so far. So thanks for all the advice.

But... I had no idea they'd grow so tall! At the rate they're going, they'll be over the top of the mesh shortly. They've each got just a single vine (if that's what you call it).

Apart from the obvious solution of adding more mesh at the top, which might start to get a bit wobbly in the windy conditions we get here, if I pinch them out at the top, will they start to bush out at the sides or do cucumbers not do this?

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 12:38 »
Ye they are a vine and have side shoots that will grow just as much as the main stem given half the chance.

I think the advice I read somewhere said to pinch the tips out when the vine reaches 7 leaves. Leaving at least 2 leaves after the fruit. Any side shoots that have at least 7 leaves but no fruit you should also pinch the tip out. I don't think this is an exact science but should lead to a bushier plant. This is pretty much what I did last year and ended up with a decent amount of cucumbers from two plants. Seven seems to be the magic number for some reason.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:41 by Eightball »

Snoop

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 18:13 »
Thanks Eightball. Sounds quite similar to the usual advice for squash. Anyway, I've got several cucumbers forming on each plant's one vine, so I guess I'd better start nipping pinching them out now. Thanks again.

Lincs Lottie

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 12:26 »
I am growing Burpless Tasty Green this year. I just read they are an outdoor variety but I have 3 planted outdoors and 3 in the greenhouse. Will the 3 in the greenhouse still grow and produce fruit? They are by the door of the greenhouse which is left open during the day.
Thanks.
LL

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 12:45 »
I grew my burpless in the tunnel and they did fine, don't worry about them!  ;)

Lincs Lottie

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 12:57 »
Thank you!  :)

xx
outdoor cucumbers - trellis or obelisk or other

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 11:37
by Carrotcake
xx
Growing Cucumbers in the Greenhouse- Watering, Feeding,Disease.**Pics now added*

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 16:03
by sean moore
xx
Growing squashes up trellis

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2018, 09:25
by madcat
xx
growing courgettes up a trellis

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 21, 2014, 17:53
by Auntiemogs

Page created in 1.41 seconds with 36 queries.