Rhubarb Crowns

• 5 Replies

JJDigger

• A tiller in God's Garden I would be...
Rhubarb Crowns
« on: March 29, 2021, 13:45 »
Hello, new member, and a relatively new gardener here.

Quick question.  I garden in South Cambs.  When may I expect top growth from new crowns of Raspberry Red and Victoria to emerge?  Fulton's Strawberry Surprise and Timperley Early showing.  All four planted according to supplier's instructions and properly spaced with plenty of well-rotted horse manure dug in.  Manure is from a reliable and chemical free source.  I'm beginning to think it may be possible that I planted them upside down!

Thank you for any replies and guidance.

JJ
JJ

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Re: Rhubarb Crowns
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 14:04 »
Hmmm.....think you should get some stalks the first year, but I read somewhere that you should refrain from harvesting them until second year which produces a better crop then. My mature rhubarb has got plenty of stalks right now, have even eaten some in a rhubarb and apple crumble already ! Maybe I have the early variety, don't really know.
I thought it would be fairly obvious which is the right way round as the roots are woody and there should have been a small bud or two on top in the crown if you brush off the top a bit. The growing tips should be proud of the ground, so they don't rot. I read somewhere that they should show in about 4-6 weeks. Someone else may have a better idea than me though. Hope this helps a little.

JJDigger

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 16:18 »
Thanks bobbyt.  It does help considerably, re the buds, though there were none evident when they arrived.

Just off up there in a mo, so will check the two crowns concerned. I'll lift them and re-position if necessary.  Even upside down, they should have done something by now.   The two which are already on the go seem happy enough, so I'll leave them.  This year I'll make do with what was left behind by my predecessor, then hopefully have a steady supply from these all through next year's season, as was the idea.

Many thanks again.

JJ

JJDigger

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 22:59 »
It was raspberry red, not strawberry surprise which was going very slowly.  Glad to say I planted it, and the Victoria, correctly.  Victoria a little further on, with a shoot, now safely back again, looking like a nuclear missile emerging from a silo!

Thanks again, bobbyt.

JJ

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 08:22 »
As said previously, don’t harvest any stalks this year & I would advise just lightly next year. T’would seem some people have difficulty with rhubarb & I think they harvest it before it’s really taken root. Once it’s established it’ll take a direct hit of a meteorite to get rid of it  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JJDigger

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 21:08 »
Yup, up to speed with that thanks, though it's a bit frustrating.  I thought it was only one season you had to leave them, so we'll have to see how they go in 2022 before picking.  Meteorite is right.  The rhubarb plant of the chap next door is humungous.

JJ

xx
rhubarb crowns & asparagus crowns planting tips please

Started by SIR,,, PLANTALOT on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 19:38
by Minty
xx
rhubarb crowns

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2015, 15:37
by harry
xx
Rhubarb Crowns

Started by soaplady on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 09:32
by paintedlady
xx
rhubarb crowns

Started by uba on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 17:53
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 35 queries.