Ants in compost bins

• 8 Replies

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
Ants in compost bins
« on: March 28, 2021, 12:05 »
Hello all, I went to the plot yesterday and was surprised to find ants in two compost bins already. This has happened before but later in the year. I need to use the compost to top dress raised beds before planting, so could do with the ants gone.
I am cautious about using chemicals like pesticides (permethrin) as this could kill other helpful organisms in the compost, so am unsure what action to take. I am aware that there are nematodes specifically for dealing with ants, has anyone tried these and were they successful? What other methods can you recommend for dealing with the problem?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Ants in compost bins
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 12:37 »
Generally, ants don't like it too wet.  So they might move out if you wet the compost.

I've not used any form of control against them; if you spread the compost with the ants in it out thinly on the ground, birds may pick off any eggs?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 09:12 »
Hello all, I went to the plot yesterday and was surprised to find ants in two compost bins already. This has happened before but later in the year. I need to use the compost to top dress raised beds before planting, so could do with the ants gone.
I am cautious about using chemicals like pesticides (permethrin) as this could kill other helpful organisms in the compost, so am unsure what action to take. I am aware that there are nematodes specifically for dealing with ants, has anyone tried these and were they successful? What other methods can you recommend for dealing with the problem?

There used to be a simple answer for this. Borax, mixed 1 part borax to 3 parts sugar. Take a spoon of that, place it on a plastic lid, mix with a small quantity of water to make a thin syrup, leave that on top of the compost in your bin for a day or two. Ants gone, guaranteed. If you happen to have borax or boric acid still around the house, try that. If necessary, there are ways to put the borax bait in a container that keeps it away from children and pets, but accessible to the ants, such as a perforated plastic container.

Boron itself is a plant micro-nutrient, so if a little ends up in your compost accidentally, no problem (over here, I've read recommendations to apply low doses of borax as a nutrient for brassicas).

Unfortunately, sales of borax in the UK /EU are banned now, based on some really flawed interpretation of science, followed by flawed legislation https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://moralfibres.co.uk/is-borax-safe/&ved=2ahUKEwiPvrjZhNXvAhWHLc0KHdiOC2oQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw16mAUVDkuboqxa6yYsAAh2

If you can find another substance to mix with the sugar in a bait, that is as safe and effective as the borax, try that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:17 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 10:09 »
I've dealt with them by leaving a hose pipe on top of the pile for an hour but if the compost is ready just tipping it out and moving it around a bit will probably be enough to persuade them that a new home is necessary and they'll carry their eggs off with them. 

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 16:20 »

There used to be a simple answer for this. Borax, mixed 1 part borax to 3 parts sugar. Take a spoon of that, place it on a plastic lid, mix with a small quantity of water to make a thin syrup, leave that on top of the compost in your bin for a day or two. Ants gone, guaranteed. If you happen to have borax or boric acid still around the house, try that. If necessary, there are ways to put the borax bait in a container that keeps it away from children and pets, but accessible to the ants, such as a perforated plastic container.

Boron itself is a plant micro-nutrient, so if a little ends up in your compost accidentally, no problem (over here, I've read recommendations to apply low doses of borax as a nutrient for brassicas).

Unfortunately, sales of borax in the UK /EU are banned now, based on some really flawed interpretation of science, followed by flawed legislation https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://moralfibres.co.uk/is-borax-safe/&ved=2ahUKEwiPvrjZhNXvAhWHLc0KHdiOC2oQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw16mAUVDkuboqxa6yYsAAh2

If you can find another substance to mix with the sugar in a bait, that is as safe and effective as the borax, try that.
Borax is still for sale on a certain online auction site , just ordered some for household cleaning jobs .

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 00:12 »
8doubles, I have a 4-pound box of '20 Mule Team' (brand) borax that will probably last me the rest of my life. I hope you can lay in a supply for ant control as well as cleaning!

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 13:32 »
8doubles, I have a 4-pound box of '20 Mule Team' (brand) borax that will probably last me the rest of my life. I hope you can lay in a supply for ant control as well as cleaning!

One kilo tub for just under £8 inc p&p or two kilo tub for just under £10 which i went for should last me a while !
Never had an ant problem that a kettle or two of boiling water did not cure ! ;)

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 20:37 »
Thanks for the suggestions, i really want the compost out of the bins to dress a raised bed. I have found some borax for sale somewhere online, so will get onto it and let you know how it goes.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 00:44 »
Thanks for the suggestions, i really want the compost out of the bins to dress a raised bed. I have found some borax for sale somewhere online, so will get onto it and let you know how it goes.

Great! Note that what you will see the first few hours after the ants find the bait is an increase in ant activity (the ants that find it let the colony know of the new food source). That high activity persists for several hours to one full day.  Then over the next day, the number of ants will quickly decrease.

Good luck!

xx
Compost Bins

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 21:50
by Swing Swang
xx
compost bins?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 08:00
by daisy1990
xx
Compost Bins

Started by Sir Lance-Allot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 18:24
by joshwain
xx
Bees and compost bins

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2021, 08:37
by Mr Dog

Page created in 2.662 seconds with 45 queries.