rhubarb crowns

• 5 Replies

uba

• Experienced Member
rhubarb crowns
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:50 »
Hi all,

We bought some crowns from the garden centre. They came in plastic bags with some very dry compost surrounding the roots and a single green shoot with a leaf on top. The weather being as it is at the moment I am not sure about planting it out in the garden (packet said to plant out october to early spring). How long will they be ok in the bags? Or would it be better to pot them in some compost and keep in the conservatory until better weather?

Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

Salmo

Re: rhubarb crowns
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:44 »
A conservatory will be too warm and the plants will sprout leaves using up energy stored in the root.

I would pot them up in damp compost to allow them to rehydrate. Put them outdoors or in an unheated greenhouse or frame. Rhubarb will stand any amount of frost. You may loose the leaves but they will grow more.

Plant them out when the conditions improve with the buds at or just below soil level.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 11:44 »
I wouldn't leave them in the bags as they'll begin to rot. If the ground isn't frozen they should be Ok,. just cover them with some dryish mulch to protect the leaf, rhubarb is fairly tough. If it's frozen solid then in pots in a cool room, might be better, but keep them in the light as you don't want to "force" them.

Crossed with Salmo, but I think we agree  :D

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:16 »
thanks to you both, I'll get to it this afternoon

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 17:49 »
I sowed some seed late last year, and they looked like they was no good until the other day they have just started to send up some crowns  :lol: they are pretty hardy i think. I have now covered with buckets and will see what happens.
Thanks
Kris

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 17:53 »
Slightly concerned to hear you're trying to force them the year after sowing seed, Kris.

That risks killing them or at the very least damaging them for future years - forcing them really takes it out of them and should be reserved for more mature plants.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
rhubarb crowns & asparagus crowns planting tips please

Started by SIR,,, PLANTALOT on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 19:38
by Minty
xx
Rhubarb crowns

Started by cathangirl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 15:39
by Trillium
grin
Rhubarb Crowns

Started by JJDigger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 30, 2021, 21:08
by JJDigger
xx
rhubarb crowns

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2015, 15:37
by harry

Page created in 1.113 seconds with 28 queries.