A few little questions and one about slugs!

• 6 Replies

boosmummy

A few little questions and one about slugs!
« on: February 04, 2012, 11:55 »
Hello everyone,

im going to plant my carrots and leeks this week once ive done them should i keep them indoors until they are a bit established?

Ive planted my garlics, and they're outside at the moment are they hardy enough to stay out there in the cold weather?

And finally, what is the best and safest defence against slugs.  Over the next few weeks im going to get a patch of my garden (which is closed off from the dogs and kids) up and running as a little herb garden - im going to put some herbs on the allotment but really it makes more sense to have them at home where i can use them all the time. The problem is we do get loads of slugs and last year a lot of my plants  just got demolished, so whats the best thing to do - slug pellets, beer, cover the herbs?  I just dont know?/

xx

Nikkithefoot

Re: A few little questions and one about slugs!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:13 »
Your garlic should be fine so long as its been in the ground for a while and isn't in pots. If its only just gone in I would be tempted to cover with fleece until the freezing weather has passed, or wrap pots to stop the soil from being completely solid.

Carrots I possibly wouldn't sow just yet. They don't do well with transplanting.

Leeks should be fine sown indoors, but make sure they get plenty of all round light to stop etoilation (growing towards the light). Make sure its not too warm for them.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 12:16 »
Hi boosmummy

Leeks are OK sown thinly in large pots and if possible kept at a reasonable temperature in a cold greenhouse or cold frame. I usually wait another month or so before sowing them so that I can plant them out after I have harvested my early spud crop.

I would wait until it warms up a bit before sowing carrots. They don't transplant at all due to their long tap root. Some can be grown permanently in large pots such as parmex and early nantes. Don't forget slugs love carrots and they also need to be protected from carrot root fly.

A copper strip / ring around your herbs will protect them from slugs as long as there are  none inside the ring when you plant them. Beer traps and pellets work to some degree and also Nematodes. Nematodes need applying every 6 - 8 weeks or so but can work out a bit pricey. Most herbs like thyme, sage, rosemary don't seem to get bothered with slugs but I can imagine the likes of basil and any soft herbs would do.

boosmummy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:26 »
Hi boosmummy

Leeks are OK sown thinly in large pots and if possible kept at a reasonable temperature in a cold greenhouse or cold frame. I usually wait another month or so before sowing them so that I can plant them out after I have harvested my early spud crop.

I would wait until it warms up a bit before sowing carrots. They don't transplant at all due to their long tap root. Some can be grown permanently in large pots such as parmex and early nantes. Don't forget slugs love carrots and they also need to be protected from carrot root fly.

A copper strip / ring around your herbs will protect them from slugs as long as there are  none inside the ring when you plant them. Beer traps and pellets work to some degree and also Nematodes. Nematodes need applying every 6 - 8 weeks or so but can work out a bit pricey. Most herbs like thyme, sage, rosemary don't seem to get bothered with slugs but I can imagine the likes of basil and any soft herbs would do.

I didnt even know these existed!! i have just looked them up thank you so much for telling me about these

gobs

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 13:46 »
What herbs are you growing? Because quite a number of them do not like wet and damp, that the slugs do prefer.

Organic slug pellets are an easy thing. Do not use much, a lot of people tend to go wrong there and also do not put them on your plants. You want to entice them out of your herb bed. ;)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

boosmummy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 14:38 »
What herbs are you growing? Because quite a number of them do not like wet and damp, that the slugs do prefer.

Organic slug pellets are an easy thing. Do not use much, a lot of people tend to go wrong there and also do not put them on your plants. You want to entice them out of your herb bed. ;)

just general kitchen herbs; thyme, basil, mint - though the mint is going in a pot, rosemary, just that kind of thing. Its good to know about the above though ill remember that when im planting and sorting out the area xx

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 21:09 »
Frogs eat slugs. Can you encourage them by creating damp areas with some cover?

I have a healthy frog population in the garden and get very little slug damage.

thumbdown
Slugs are on their way.....

Started by lmillar11 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 20:41
by Arbutus
xx
Slugs

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 01:08
by IMOmimey
xx
Slugs (again)

Started by Sands on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 24, 2024, 19:11
by Nobbie
xx
slugs

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 13:01
by rawrecruit

Page created in 0.939 seconds with 28 queries.