Is it garlic rust?

• 38 Replies

Steveharford

Re: Is it garlic rust?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 07:28 »
I believe they also need to be out of direct sunlight. Unlike onions.

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 08:18 »
Loads on ours here too, leaves are more orange than green, when we had a rare shower washed some of the rust off onto ground below. Pulled one yesterday just to check the bulb, it looks ok, decent size. Haven't been removing any leaves. Just a reminder advice is not to grow garlic in affected area for a couple of years.

Nobbie

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 08:26 »
mine too have rust on, as they are the same family as onions will the rust be able to pass onto and infect my onions?

The rust on my garlic has spread to the overwinteted onions next door, but not serious as they are now mature. The garlic has no green left on it, so I'll dig it in a couple of weeks. Just hope it doesn't spread to the onions sets whic are swelling nicely at the moment.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 14:31 »
The rust has spread to my leeks now  :(

I am sooo disappointed I was really struggling with getting the leeks to grow and now they are pencil thin and full of rust  :( :( :( :( :(

The question is do I give up on them  ??? Or do I try to persevere and get a some to crop??

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 15:14 »
Advise copied from RHS site :- (hope this is allowed mods)

Leek Rust: This is a fungal disease causing bright yellow spots on the leaves. It is often worse in long, wet spells.
Remedy: Mild attacks of rust won’t affect the plant, but serious infections may cause leaves to shrivel and affect yield. There is no control for rust once you have the infection. Make sure you don’t crowd plants, as this increases humidity and increases the likelihood of infection. Dispose of any badly affected plant material, and don’t grow garlic, leeks or onions in the same spot for three years.

my limited computer skills stop me from including the link, but go to RHS website for more info

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 15:14 by Lastcast »

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
Garlic rust
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 18:43 »
I think my garlic's got rust!  The stems are covered in browny-yellow spots and from a distance they just look, well, rusty!  I took the scapes off a week ago and they are safely stored/frozen for later consumption.  I pulled one of the bulbs today to have a look and it seems ok, if a little on the small side.  Normally I wouldn't expect to be harvesting garlic until the end of July (up here in Scotland it generally takes until then to be ready).  Can I leave it, rust and all, and trust the bulbs will swell a little more or should I cut my losses and get them out while the going is good (if a bit small)?  I read in Hessayan that rust on leeks and onions can be caused by growing them in a place where rust has been before, but I work a rotation system and no garlic (onions/leeks) have been grown in this bed for several years.  Any helpful hints?  :(

snow white

Re: Garlic rust
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 10:22 »
There has been numerous posts on this recently.  Might be worth looking for them. :wub:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 12:38 »
I've merged the 2 threads  ;)

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 19:55 »
I've merged the 2 threads  ;)
Thanks for that, Mumofstig - and sorry to all you frustrated readers who knew there was a thread already.  I guess I can be a bit unobservant at times.

xx
Rust on Garlic.

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 20:05
by Yorkie
question
Rust in garlic

Started by Sunbonnetsue on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2018, 15:17
by Mum2mj
xx
Rust on Garlic

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 21:59
by RichardA
xx
Garlic Rust?

Started by Lottie Lady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2007, 07:00
by Lottie Lady

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 30 queries.