Too late to start parsnips?

• 18 Replies

Growster...

Re: Too late to start parsnips?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 19:54 »
You'll be fine, Chrysalis!

If they're smaller - so what? They sell parsnips that size for a gold splonder each in our local Twongos!

AnneB

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 21:35 »
Parsnip seed has a shorter than average shelf-life - I have got year-old seed to germinate but I think the success rate was down to about 20%.
Sorry to go against the usually accepted rule that parsnip seed has to be fresh, but last year I sowed 3 year old parsnip seed direct and got the best crop I ever had with almost 100% germination. Odd or what?

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 22:43 »
Parsnip seed has a shorter than average shelf-life - I have got year-old seed to germinate but I think the success rate was down to about 20%.
Sorry to go against the usually accepted rule that parsnip seed has to be fresh, but last year I sowed 3 year old parsnip seed direct and got the best crop I ever had with almost 100% germination. Odd or what?

I would agree with that - I chitted my parsnip seed this year (a mix of 1 and 2 year old) and achieved good germination, planting into paper pots.  The seelings have since been planted out and are on their first true leaves now.

I think age may effect speed of parsnip germination rather than likelihood of germination, within reason.   maybe seed storage conditions have an impact
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 23:02 by sowitgrowit »
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 23:17 »
I suspect the truth may be that if parsnip seed is stored and germinated under ideal conditions it can remain viable for considerably longer than previously thought possible -  it's also true that parsnips were traditionally one of the the first crops to be sown outdoors because of the long growing season required, and because they're not known for being enthusiastic about leaping out of cold soil the seed needed to be as fresh as possible to avoid failure.

Sowing fresh seed outdoors even in April usually takes at least 4 weeks here for germination, so there is no time margin for risking using old seed - as I've already posted I'm experimenting with pre-germination this year as well as direct sowing (but with fresh seed in both cases - still want to make sure I get a good crop of parsnips!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
parsnips is it to late?

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 06:51
by Beetroot queen
xx
best way to sow late parsnips

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 10:13
by Paul Plots
xx
Parsnips-too late??

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 23, 2022, 14:06
by mumofstig
xx
too late for parsnips?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 12:58
by Mark's Sussex Allotment

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 33 queries.