Planting Frenzy

• 10 Replies

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Planting Frenzy
« on: May 27, 2021, 16:45 »
Well as today was the first proper warm sunny day (with at least the next few weeks as well) I took the opportunity to go on a planting frenzy and free up some space in my greenhouse.

Planted in the allotment today:

French Beans
Red Cabbage
Sprouts
Tomatotes
Peppers
Courgettes
Celeriac
Collard greens
Kale
Pak choi

Hope I don’t regret it, but it was satisfying none the less.  Hope everyone else is enjoying a bit of sunshine.

Hampshire Hog

Re: Planting Frenzy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 18:17 »
I can’t match that but I have just put out some climbing french beans and a squash at the plot plus outdoor tomatoes at home. Checked the runners I put out earlier and they seem to be tolerating the overnight temperatures.
Cheers HH
Keep digging

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 23:10 »
It's definitely the time now. Most of us in the UK are moving past our last frost date now and for the foreseeable the warm weather is finally here. Only yesterday did I finally get my carrots and parsnips sown!

al78

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 23:31 »
I've only got a few things to plant out. The brassicas which would normally be planted out now are still very small seedlings. I am on holiday for a week on Saturday so most stuff will have to wait until I get back. French beans will be planted out tomorrow given the favourable weather forecast.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 14:23 »
My kale desperately needs planting out so will have to carry on digging over more of the compacted soil in a small but long stone raised bed that used to have a layer of concrete over it. The soil is actually quite a good texture as it used to  be used for sweet peas, so all I'm doing is digging and adding mushroom compost and some bagged top soil. The higher stone raised bed was dug over in Feb and now has two small rows of sugar snaps in a supporting frame and two rows of Spring onions, plus I recently sowed two rows of carrots which are just showing and two rows of beetroot which are yet to appear. In the greenhouse my climbing French bean has been planted in one of those green grow-bag pots that's inserted directly into the soil and my sweet corn have germinated nicely and should be ready to plant in there in a month or so. My toms are also doing well and showing a few little trusses.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 10:49 »
At last! Purple sprouting broccoli planted out in containers yesterday. Will plant out the courgettes today along with 3rd planting of Pak Choi. The parsnips have seen the weather forecast and appeared today  :D

The parsley in the raised bed have not done at all well but I experimented with growing some as plug plants and they have done really well. I will definitely use this technique next year, same with the coriander. The plugs have been put outside to harden off before planting in a couple of days.

The perpetual spinach has well and truly gone to seed but the plug plants are ready to take their place.

A busy bank holiday weekend ahead  :D 

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 18:33 »
Marvellous!

All the pots are done, as are the trays of spinach, rocket etc.! It just had to be done now, the testosterone of all these chums was bounding around like a young thing!

Goodness knows what I'll be doing tomorrow, I'm rather bereft of ideas now...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 20:05 »
Runner and Gigandes beans planted today, I've more peas to plant out tomorrow - if I can find the wire fencing - which is hiding in the shed *somewhere*   :wacko:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 20:47 »
The perpetual spinach has well and truly gone to seed but the plug plants are ready to take their place.

That was one of my jobs today as well.

Old perpetual spinach yielded one last picking, then out it came.  Small plants were replanted in another area, plus chard.

Tomatoes are now planted out, plus most of the climbing beans and all the squashes.  I had a lot of areas covered waiting for planting, so the covers came off and the plants went in.  Instant allotment ... almost  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 09:37 »
I've even given away the 'spare' runner beans I had sown, in case the normal crop got frosted, so 'burning boats', 'crossing the Rubicon' etc., has now happened...

(Runner beans are Mrs Growster's staple for the late summer months, and if she didn't have a daily dose of the things, our dear JRT would have to comment here, as I just wouldn't be around ever again...)!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 11:55 »
I've even given away the 'spare' runner beans I had sown, in case the normal crop got frosted, so 'burning boats', 'crossing the Rubicon' etc., has now happened...

Just gave away my extra courgettes which I was also keeping in case of a late frost. Bridges definitely burnt  :D

xx
Just had a woolies frenzy

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 19:11
by nobby
xx
planting

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 20:17
by Beetroot queen
xx
planting out.................

Started by topsy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 21:46
by Kristen
xx
Planting in between.

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 16:59
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 41 queries.