planting out.................

• 5 Replies

topsy

planting out.................
« on: April 06, 2010, 15:19 »
have put my over 1 - 2 feet tall runner beans in plastic greenhouse yesterday in their pots they will now stay in - as weather fine here in the South - checked weather no frost forecast so when can i leave them out of greenhouse?  they need to be on poles as are rather (surprisingly) tall already...............!!

also window sills full of toms, cherry toms, peppers and cucumber - any chance they can go out soon ?  peppers will stay in greenhouse as last year did this and got wonderful crop......
potatoes in their buckets and so are the onions - lets hope they grow !!! :)
if i plant it, will it grow ?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: planting out.................
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 15:56 »
I would get them outside during the day, to harden off, if the weather is warm enough.

Looking at Wunderground for some amateur weather stations in East Sussex it looks like the night temperature has not dropped below 4C after 1st May over the last few years. I reckon you need to be able to get them "protected" at night until around about then - and if you can then fleece them on the poles (but tricky!) that would help with any low night temperatures.

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 20:54 »
It's not that tricky to fleece Runner Beans on their poles. I don't sow mine until May but I use the same piece of fleece first for Sweet Peas that I'll probably plant out at the weekend. Both structures are made with a strong pole at each end and a tensioned wire between them. 8' bamboo canes are fastened to the wire on 8" centres as a double 2' wide row. They are lashed together with horizontal runs of binder twine about 3' off the ground. I plant the Sweet Peas or Runner Beans inside the canes and secure them with home made Sweet Pea rings. I have a roll of 1 metre wide fleece that has lasted me many years. Using old clothes pegs to secure it to the binder twine I wrap it several times round the entire structure. Then I push in a few spare canes outside the fleece and tie them to a main cane just above the fleece to stop it flapping, only need one every four or five feet. The fleece keeps the plants very cosy while they get established, the Sweet Peas are growing well by the time I need it for the Runners.
See picture in post below.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 21:32 by Ivah »
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 21:03 »
Never tried a photo link on here before - hope this works!

It looks very impressive! Here, hopefully, is your photo embedded in the thread (to save folks having to take a diversion to see it :) )

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 21:31 »
Thanks, that was what I wanted to do, are there instructions somewhere that I have missed? Picture from April 2006 but I do the same every year.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 21:46 »
Thanks, that was what I wanted to do, are there instructions somewhere that I have missed?

Given that you had the full URL to the image in your message you just need to put IMG tags around it like this:

[img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/ghiggin/SP_Fleeced.jpg[/img]

The Editor's icon button will stick the "tags" in for you to then fill in.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 21:50 by Kristen »

xx
Planting now ?

Started by Aitch on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 14:53
by JayG
xx
Planting Out Tom's

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 15:26
by stompy
xx
planting out

Started by mat whitlock on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 08:32
by mumofstig
xx
Planting Out

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 13:53
by chris23005

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 36 queries.