Why does it keep raining on me?

• 10 Replies

al78

Why does it keep raining on me?
« on: February 28, 2020, 17:23 »
Three named storms in four consecutive weekends means it is unlikely any allotment groound preparation is going to happen this weekend either. With no respite from the continuous unsettled weather in sight, and being on heavy clay soil, at this rate, I will be lucky to start cultivating before Easter. This is a bit like 2013 for a different reason, back then, March was colder than three quarters of the winter months in the previous 50 years, so couldn't get going until April. What is the latest you have been able to start cultivating due to persistent adverse weather?

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: Why does it keep raining on me?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 19:33 »
I think everybody is fed up with the rain and wind.
the weather can change very quickly. later crops usually perform better than ones sown in less than favourable conditions.
what's the betting on a hose pipe ban come the summer?

Christine

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 07:19 »
Up here starting growing is normal later March but we all hope that we get the ground prep done earlier.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 09:41 »
I think I commented on a this before about our own dilemma of starting cultivation because with all that rain in the autumn meant we couldn't plough our allotment ground and even the raised beds where to wet to dig

normally the ground would have been ploughed to let the weather do its job overwinter then come spring the ground would have been cultivated with the ground having a fine tilth to work now its going to take a lot more work to get it to a growing tilth but probably it may not break down as its a tad on the heavy side 

and I agree with you its going to be April before we can get started on any sort of cultivation and that's if the ground dries up may be those with lighter soils will be able to start a little earlier? I know my daughter allotments will be ok to start sometime in March as that's much lighter soil its a long winter and all of us are itching to get out start gardening but I think the only gardening we will be doing is in the greenhouse and even that's cold and damp

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 10:19 »
On last nights The One Show  one of the BBC weather people mentioned that there was a 'possibility ' of more rain next weekend , apparently it's been brought in on the jet stream. :( :(.  Wettest February on record??

we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

al78

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 13:44 »
On last nights The One Show  one of the BBC weather people mentioned that there was a 'possibility ' of more rain next weekend , apparently it's been brought in on the jet stream. :( :(.  Wettest February on record??

It is officially the second wettest February on record. We will find out in a week or so if the record has been broken.

al78

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 19:40 »
It is provisionally the wettest February on record, beating the previous record held in February 1990. Even by normalising for the number of days per month (accounting for the extra day this year), it is still the wettest (i.e. in average mm per day).

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 22:42 »
I’m right fed up of it. I’m itching to get out there on my NEW allotment and it’s ‘orrible. Not helped by pics of last half term, where we were prancing about in t shirts.

I’m not going to dig, just dump a load of compost on the beds and plant into that, so as long as it’s not underwater (it’s not, it’s on a slope) all I really need is weather that’s not apocalyptic and the cowman to deliver five tonnes of the brown stuff. Although it would be nice if the seedlings stopped ending up upsidedown under the greenhouse. That’s setting things back a bit.

The Persistent Novice

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 17:18 »
Managed to get onto my plot today and surprised how well the beds have drained, all that hard work over the past two years has paid off. Turned four beds over, just need to add some goodness into them ahead of planting. Am I right in thinking that chicken manure pellets are good for growth above ground, brassicas, sweet corn, courgettes etc. and Growmore works best for root vegetables? Or am I totally wrong. Any advice gratefully appreciated.

7DE9446D-5E3A-43CE-AA1F-95FA4509D3C3.jpeg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 17:42 »
Chicken pellets are highest in nitrogen, which is good for leaves.  Potassium is good for flowers (i.e. courgettes, tomatoes etc once they've started flowering/fruiting).

Growmore is a balanced fertiliser so does everything rather than one specific thing.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

The Persistent Novice

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 18:56 »
Chicken pellets are highest in nitrogen, which is good for leaves.  Potassium is good for flowers (i.e. courgettes, tomatoes etc once they've started flowering/fruiting).

Growmore is a balanced fertiliser so does everything rather than one specific thing.

Cheers, thanks for that, will bear that in mind.

xx
It's Raining!!!!!!!!!

Started by Irene on Grow Your Own

64 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 12:05
by mumofstig
xx
It's raining!

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 19:14
by Pompey Spud
xx
it's raining and I'm bored

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 20:42
by Christine
xx
hurrah its raining!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 21:37
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 41 queries.