Raised bed tables

• 9 Replies

moose

• Experienced Member
Raised bed tables
« on: February 29, 2020, 14:27 »
Posted earlier about making raised bed tables. I have now acquired four 4x4ft pieces of marine ply, some fence posts to cut down and an as yet uncounted pile (about 30) of used Link-a-bord panels with necessary bits to put together. These panels are 6 inches high.
My query is how high should I build up these boards. I’m thinking of one bed at 6 inches, two at 12 inches and there may be enough boards to make a bed 18 inches high, but is that practical and do any crops really need that height?
What crops will comfortably grow in a 6 inch high bed with this solid ply base?
What would be best with 12 inch depth? 18 inch?
Must grow veg. Are carrots, lettuce and other salad stuff. We like turnips and kholrabi, broad beans, runners and peas would be dwarfs like Sutton & Hestia. Swede would be nice to have.
All suggestions and thoughts welcome.

rowlandwells

Re: Raised bed tables
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 17:39 »
I think it  all down to ones preference and I'm not going to tell you how to suck eggs but instead I will tell how we do our raised beds we make our raised beds aprox 12 inches high 6ft long we dig over the ground fill the ones we need to grow brassicas with half well rotted manure and half compost to top of 

some veg we don't need manure like parsnips so we dig over the bed and fill it with compost usually its spent compost from our tomato or other things when we  empty  the greenhouse and pots sometimes if we haven't enough used compost we buy whatever's compost is on offer

also I made brackets to fit the raised beds for environment netting on every raised bed obviously I don't know what your soil is if heavy or light soil  I ended up making twenty raised beds out of re-claimed decking  I treated all the timber before making the raised beds but I have found raised beds to be much easier than open ground sowings and planting the only open ground plantings we do  now are runner beans main crop potatoes and some broad beans and peas the early potatoes go in the raised beds like all other veg

I'm going for a salad raised bed this season if it stops raining for a couple of days  >:( i also built a fruit cage more or less on the same plan  as my raised beds with boards round the cage and filled with manure round the bushes

i have to say making the raised beds did take me a week to make and another week to install  them down the allotments but then being retired time was not an issue hope this reply helps you and good luck with the raised beds

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 20:39 »
Thanks for your input but the point of my post is that my beds are not on the ground they are on tables so I can either stand or sit on a chair/wheelchair. The top of the bed will be at about waist height. The height of the legs will have to be adjusted depending how high I make the sides.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 20:41 by moose »

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 22:44 »
I have some pallets on legs and use pallet collars on the pallets, then weed fabric on the sides and bottom and fill with compost etc. the collars are about 6 inch high but you could put two collars on if required.
Size is the standard 1200 by 800

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 09:11 »
Thanks johnjsdb what I really want to know is what can you grow in a 6inch deep bed? What won't grow in a 6 inch deep bed? I already have all I need to build my beds I 'm just not sure what depth is needed and practical.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 09:33 »
Salads would grow in 6ins depth, but most of the others would be better with 12ins. Unless you fancied long parsnips I don't think you would need a deeper bed for the others tbh.
Runner beans and peas, the shorter varieties would grow in 12ins depth as long as they were watered enough. Good luck

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 11:48 »
So far I have grown strawberries, stumpy carrots, salads and beetroot
Only had them last year, will be mostly salads, beetroot radish and strawberries this year.
Longer carrots will be in 2ft high plastic pots this year.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 13:14 »
Salads would grow in 6ins depth, but most of the others would be better with 12ins

So far I have grown strawberries, stumpy carrots, salads and beetroot

Thanks these posts help clarify my thinking. Four beds with two at 6 inches and two at 12 to start with, see how it goes. I've concluded that 18 inch deep is not really practicable. Choice of seed is next, I have always grown Autumn King carrots may be better with shorter ones. Will have to consider what to do about Leeks. MoS mentions watering which makes we think Celeriac may not be best choice, but I must have some Swede. With the smaller quantities I'll be growing I will have to look at things that are not easy to find or expensive to buy.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 17:08 »
I agree that looking at shorter rooted carrots / parsnips would be a good idea.  They both have a longer thin tap root, and so the tap root of a standard length carrot will probably hit the bottom at 12".

I also agree that you need to consider how high some things may grow - a 7' high structure full of beans in the height of the growing season will act like a sail in high winds, and the roots won't have quite as much ability to anchor as they would if in open soil.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 18:36 »
 "a 7' high structure full of beans in the height of the growing season will act like a sail in high winds,"
At 5ft 4ins and 8 stones I'd be soaring off with it. Years ago I was all set up to do a parachute jump but on the allotted day I was not allowed as it was too windy. Dwarf beans definitely.

xx
Best Book (after Johns, it says it is on Amazon's tables)

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 20:41
by FCG
xx
What do i put in a raised bed?

Started by Feeb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 14:16
by Feeb
xx
What to do with a raised bed?

Started by spursn17 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 28, 2012, 21:44
by Ice
xx
Raised Veg Bed

Started by beekeeper on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 19:21
by beekeeper

Page created in 0.579 seconds with 48 queries.