Could My Hybrid Be Broody ???

• 4 Replies

francais

• Experienced Member
Could My Hybrid Be Broody ???
« on: April 04, 2010, 15:55 »
Hi Guys,

I have a hybrid lady that seems to have gone broody! She has spent the last 3 days sitting on the nest on hers and her companions eggs. She will only leave for a short while then returns to the nest.

If we can get the eggs our from under her while she is away - she seems to accept this & will then go about normal daily hen stuff, but the next day on the next clutch of eggs she starts again.

I know hybrids arn't known for their broody nature, but is it possible? Is it worth buying her a few fertalised eggs to try or will she get board before then?

I would like to have some chickies, but not sure if as a hybrid lady she would stay the course. What do you guys think please?
Toni

treacleminer

Re: Could My Hybrid Be Broody ???
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 17:12 »
I have tried with a hybrid in the past - not successfully, but I didn't move her to a broody coop.  She was perfectly happy after an R&R break to go back to the other nest box rather than the one she was meant to be sitting on ::)

You could risk a go - but have an incubator standing by in case?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 17:18 »
I have 2 silkie crosses who are broody - 1 has hatched 6 eggs this weekend and the other has 2 weeks to go. Last year my blackrock successfully hatched some eggs as well as my cuckoo maran so hybrids can do a good job.
Leave the fertile eggs under her for a couple of days just to be sure then pick her up and whilst holding her transfer the eggs into the broody coup (I make sure that they stay the same way up and that she can see me doing this at all times by keeping her tucked up under my arm). Then place her in the broody ark/coup and shut her in - I do not open the nesting area until the following day - this gives her chance to settle down again. Works for me  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 17:44 »
Thanks guys - really appreciate the advice :)

joyciee

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 21:42 »
I had an Hybrid hen that went brooding and she hatched out four chicks one of which is still around today aged 8  :)
what came first chicken or the egg ;)

xx
Broody hybrid?

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 18:35
by Honeysuckle
xx
Broody hybrid

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 18:46
by andy46
xx
How to stop broody hybrid?

Started by JohnVW on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 12:19
by JohnVW
xx
Broody hybrid not laying!!

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 10:51
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 33 queries.