Broody hybrid

• 7 Replies

andy46

• Experienced Member
Broody hybrid
« on: August 08, 2013, 18:52 »
Can anyone give me any advice,My hybrid warren chicken has gone broody and won`t get of the nest. When i lift her out of the coop she starts making a constant chirping noise,fluffs and up her feathers she is not aggressive.Also how long could this last for.I thought hybrids did not go broody. :(
Pull up a perch!!

Bren200

Re: Broody hybrid
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 20:29 »
Hi, I have 7 hybrids. 1 went broody about 2 months ago we made her get off made sure she had a drink & some food. She carried on being broody so my husband got some fertilised eggs & put her on them. They hatched & now we have 3 baby chicks. We now have another broody hybrid, we just keep getting her out.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 21:21 »
Thanks bren will just have to keep kicking her out of coop then!!

Sparkyrog

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 22:30 »
Stick a dog cage on bricks and put her in that ! she won't like it ,and will soon get the message  :)
I cook therefore I grow

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 22:50 »
There are several methods to try and break a broody. The wire bottom cage has already been mentioned, it stops them from getting comfy, but can take a couple of days so they will need food and water while they are in there. Another method is to dunk their bottoms in cold water, personally I've not found this to work, my chickens seemed to enjoy it too much :blink:. Alternatively you can just leave them to come out of it on their own which usually takes about 3 weeks, then they take another 3 weeks or so to start laying again. Keep doing what you are doing ie taking her out of the nest every now and then so she can eat and drink, and drop those huge really smelly broody poos, and she will eventually get back to normal.

It's very tempting to put fertile eggs under a broody, but if you are tempted, she will need a broody coop on her own, and you may end up hatching cockerels.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:34 »
I have a hybrid hen, Black Rock, that went broody, hatched out chicks successfully and now is proving to be a very good mum.  Go figure!   ::)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:03 »
It is unusual for a hybrid to go broody, but as you can see from the reports on here not impossible! :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 18:46 »
Thanks for the replies did the cool water and that worked a treat she has snapped out of it and everything back to normal though she is not laying yet but hopefully she will start to soon :) Andy   :D :D :D

xx
Could My Hybrid Be Broody ???

Started by francais on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 21:42
by joyciee
xx
Broody hybrid?

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 18:35
by Honeysuckle
xx
How to stop broody hybrid?

Started by JohnVW on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 12:19
by JohnVW
xx
Broody Hybrid - Some Advice Please

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 23:57
by EJCTM

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 27 queries.