Stress

• 11 Replies

bacchus51

Stress
« on: January 10, 2011, 18:39 »
Hello everyone. Just introduced 2 new birds to my existing flock of 3. The 2 newbees have literally been hen-pecked by the others. Although I have kept them apart as much as possible, there is only one coop where they sleep together. Everything is OK during the night because their poor eyesight means they don't see too well but it's a different story next morning when the chasing and pecking starts until I awake to seperate them.
One of the newbees has gone off her food and is wasting away. I think it's a case of STRESS.
Does anyone have a recipe for a good pick-me-up or tonic to get her back on her feet again?
Thank you.

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
Re: Stress
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 19:24 »
Hi bacchus51
Some people have recommended either removing the bully for a few days or to invest in beak clips.  I am sure someone will come and give you more info, good luck!

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 19:27 »
Hi
Is there no way you could seperate them for a while so they can see each other but not actually fight even a wire run just for during the day. The original hens are just defending their territory and could really damage your newbies.
If you cannot seperate them you could try spraying your newbies with anti-peck spray or maybe try anti-peck beck clips on your original girls.
Make sure there are plenty of feeding station so your new girls can get some food. You should also make some places for your new girls to hide and get shelter from the bullying eg. buckets on their sides.
Good luck  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 19:38 »
I would also suggest some purple spray (it really is called that though it is gentian violet) to disguise any red or bleeding areas.  Hens will be attracted to peck at red areas and will not stop.  You will have to be careful to avoid the eyes with the spray.  You can get it from any horsy feed supplier place.    Good luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Totty

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 21:05 »
When we added two white stars to our very small flock in september, our little black silkie was clearly the worst bully. Upsetting to watch. In the end i took her home and put her in my empty greenhouse for three days. I then put her back, an lo and behold she was at it again straight away. So back to solitary for three days. When i put her back, it all calmed right down and they then managed to naturally find their own order.
 Recently built a bigger run, added a blue orp and a little old english game bantam and there are still quarrels but not like before.

Single out the hen that you think is the main problem, it should become clear after watching, and remove her for a week. Let the others settle.

Totty

bacchus51

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51 »
No, you misunderstand. The bullying is expected and is not the problem. The problem is one stressed-out chicken, off her food and not eating much, even though she is separated from the others. She has no visible injuries.The change of environment and the bullying have been too much for her.
The two groups are on either side of a wire cage, except overnight and perhaps 1 hour next morning when there is plenty of room to run away.
Can you recommend a tonic?

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 14:49 »
Hi there. Main thing is to get her back eating again as you don't want her losing condition this time of the year.

Assuming you feed them layers pellets, have you tried making up some 'porridge' out of pellets and a little hot water? At least then she will be getting some proper nutrition inside her. My 2 have this in the mornings and they really love it. As well as the odd sprinkling of corn I also add a pinch of Poultry Spice to it once or twice a week. Again they seem to like this and it contains some extra minerals.

Hope this helps and she starts eating soon.
Helen

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 16:26 »
Hi Bacchus! Try some Liquid tonic from Nettex (online) which stimulates appetite - I have some you add to water but there is also one for fast improvement. One of the other forum members recommended it to me and it certainly helped this winter to get them back on their feet during moulting which is very stressful. You could also try a little tuna in water mixed with mashed up pellets to tempt her to eat. Good luck!

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 16:34 »
I had a duck which had been badly bullied and gone off her food.  The problem with animals/birds is once their digestive system shuts down it is often hard to get them eating again.

I mashed hardboiled egg with a little chickweed and coarse oatmeal, and garnished it with live mealworms.  It did do the trick, though feeding live mealworms to a fully grown Rouen duck is an expensive exercise, but eventually I got her eating again, and now you can't tell her from the others.

If you are into "alternative cures" (not everyone is it seems) then also I find a few drops of Bach's Rescue Remedy in the drinking water is a help - you can get it from most chemists now

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

bacchus51

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 23:30 »
Sue, I have some rescue remedy so will give that a try. Bonnie what is the website you got your Nettex from. (I'm in NZ by the way). And Sue, that porridge sounds interesting, will try all these at various times so thank you all.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 16:44 »
Hi Bacchus, just google 'nettex' and it will come up - may only be UK based, but worth a try from your end.

jinty1911

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 16:59 »
Bach's Rescue Remedy

Ha I used that when sitting my driving test.  Passed 1st at 40!!  :D  :D
Jinty

xx
Sign of Stress?

Started by Des C on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 20:15
by muntjac
xx
Stress & egg laying

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 22:48
by andreadon
xx
stress of chicken and dogs

Started by Karen 123 on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 13:57
by too many girls
xx
Reducing fox induced stress

Started by Honey65 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2015, 12:26
by Sassy

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 35 queries.