Reducing fox induced stress

• 4 Replies

Honey65

Reducing fox induced stress
« on: November 17, 2015, 20:12 »
We recently got 4 POLs after losing our flock in a fox attack. We plan to keep the new girls in their caged run (3x8) permanently as its the only way to keep them safe. The problem we have is that the fox comes early morning and circles the run causing significant, but understandable, shrieking!

How can we reduce their stress when the fox is around? Would fencing on 3 sides help or some sort of hide?  They have their coop but don't go it it when the fox is there.

snowdrops

Re: Reducing fox induced stress
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 22:26 »
Are they not shut in the coop early mornings?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Honey65

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 06:38 »
I don't shut the coop door at night as the run is fox proof.  Do you think thats important? I'm guessing that the fox will come in daylight when it gets more desperate for food anyway...

Our coop door is fault so I'd need to get another coop.

Mr R Design

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 07:26 »
My experience of the similar scenario is:

I live in a normal semi who's garden backs on to loads of other gardens and a great big piece of wasteland.

I have been here for 20 years and there have always been foxes around.

They regularly come in to the garden as daylight is breaking and have a sniff around the covered run and sit there for minutes on end pondering on how to get in and then just wonder off.

My 3 chickens just sit there starring at them so I assume that yours will calm down at some stage.

I have been keeping 3 chickens now for 6 months and only let them out after around 11.00.

The advice is if you want to be 100% safe then don't let them out. The recommendation is that if your house is similar to mine then you do, I know the risk will then be there but on the balance of probability you may well be ok.

As for the coop door providing it is not pointing in the direction that the wind blows and the coop is not the size of a garden shed for the amount of chickens that you have then from what I have read not being able to close it is not an issue even in Winter.

I leave mine open and am planning to always do so as that way I do not have to get my slippers wet of a morning or evening.

My run is 50 square foot, covered and they seem perfectly happy. Over an average week I let them out for what would be 45 minutes a day ie it could be half an hour during week days and a few hours during weekend days.

I know chickens are more likely to attract foxes in to your garden but how long have you lived there and have you ever seen foxes in your garden during the day?

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:26 »
You need some way to make the fox uncomfortable better still get an expert to trap and destroy it. However, as I think you live in London there will definitely be another along shortly, also these London foxes are not as afraid of humans as country foxes. Can you borrow a big dog and let him out before the fox is there? Again though he will always be watching for when the dog is not there. It is a difficult one and I am not being helpful!! The nature of foxes is to be aware and they are very patient. Sorry.

I have used human hair from local hairdressers and never had a problem but there is no guarantee the hair has anything to do with it. It is also said male human or canine urine is a deterrent but who knows.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Fox-induced injuries

Started by Bennett on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 22:32
by OpiumEater
xx
Reducing numbers

Started by gracie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 23:15
by gracie
xx
Stress

Started by bacchus51 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 16:59
by jinty1911
xx
Sign of Stress?

Started by Des C on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 20:15
by muntjac

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 28 queries.