compost Question ?

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

compost Question ?
« on: July 27, 2019, 09:09 »
for those of you that use compost like we do for both seeding and potting on I have to say we didn't seem to get the results who hoped for in the brands we used this year although they where presumably a good brand of multi-purpose compost but it didn't  seem to have the strength it used to have ? and like most of the compost brands claim to feed the plants upto six weeks?

so to upgrade our compost for  a more substantial growing base i think we need to find something to mix with the compost and I must admit I don't know what's the best additive would it be in a powder form or liquid?

so i would welcome your comments on this topic for your sugestions of what would in your opinion be the best option for a compost mix

Growster...

Re: compost Question ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 12:32 »
I reckon it'd be down to adding some more general purpose fertilizer, Rowland.

I regularly re-use old compost from bags or growbags, and just give it a boost with Growmore or Miracle Gro.

Seems to work here, but we're using Jack's Magic, and like the way it works, even after the first year!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 14:52 »
After seeing recommendations for Jack's Magic compost on here I've used it for the last two years and find it just like the old compost used to be. It has a lovely feel, smell, and things just respond as they should. It costs a few pence more but so what? If you get good results then why bother trying to save money on a cheaper version.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 15:03 »
Spot on Goosey!

This year, we dug out our old compost heap, which hadn't had a seeing-to for five years, and used that as the bottom 3/4 of every pot or planter we had for this year.

With a new coat of Jack's Magic on top, we've had astounding results as well as several sunflowers, courgettes, potatoes, beans etc, all from last year, and the year before, and the year before that...

Love 'em all, especially the sunflower growing in the runners, which is just enormous!

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
Another compost question sorry

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 23:44
by compostqueen
xx
Compost question.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 06:35
by Benandbill
xx
Compost question

Started by BabyStar on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 11:04
by BabyStar

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.