Garlic "volunteers"

• 4 Replies

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Garlic "volunteers"
« on: April 07, 2019, 07:14 »
I apparently failed to dig up all of my garlic last year and have lots of new growth. Can I fry and eat the shoots?  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic "volunteers"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:21 »
I'm still trying to work out how I managed to leave a couple of garlic plants unharvested last year (spuds, easy, garlic, potential Specsavers!)

You certainly can eat the leaves, which will have a garlic flavour but not as strong as the cloves.

I'm going to leave mine to grow just to see what happens - each clove is clearly producing its own shoot, but whether I get a cluster of usable bulbs or a random mess remains to be seen (not holding my breath!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 09:39 »
I've never let such volunteers alone long enough to see if you get a crop worth storing, but you can harvest the whole clump to eat as green garlic as soon as you think it is worth picking. The bulb is good cut in half and roasted with a bit of olive oil and seasoning to eat with roast chicken or squeezed out into pasta sauces or pizza toppings.

Garlic is all edible, from clove to leaf to flower  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 10:46 »
If you can be bothered you can still lift the bulbs split them up and replant them, they'll look a little forlorn like transplanted spring onions do, but most usually take and carry on growing.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 09:15 »
I'm still trying to work out how I managed to leave a couple of garlic plants unharvested last year (spuds, easy, garlic, potential Specsavers!)

You certainly can eat the leaves, which will have a garlic flavour but not as strong as the cloves.

I'm going to leave mine to grow just to see what happens - each clove is clearly producing its own shoot, but whether I get a cluster of usable bulbs or a random mess remains to be seen (not holding my breath!)

Yesterday I found the answer: 9 bulbs in a single cluster - each one smaller than those grown from individual cloves, but each seems to have divided into usable sized cloves, so overall a lot more garlic for the space occupied by one plant.

Intriguing - haven't decided whether I might deliberately plant a few whole bulbs next spring!  :unsure:  ;)
garlic.jpg

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
clip
Growing Elephant Garlic from "Nodules"

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2020, 00:36
by timdunn
xx
Onion "Radar" and "Electric"

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 16:39
by freefolk
xx
brassica's need moving(""edited"")

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 13:03
by gobs

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 43 queries.