Compost question

• 12 Replies

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
Compost question
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:03 »
Looking to start things off with seeds in the greenhouse ready for planting out. My question is whether it's best to use seed compost or whether an all-purpose compost is just as good? Have read mixed reviews where the all-purpose seems to work just as well.

I know we used all sorts last year as we were just starting out growing our own and we still got results. Obviously if we can buy cheaper all-purpose rather than the more expensive seed and still get good results it would be a bonus.

Thank you!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Compost question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:08 »
I just go for the best grow bag deal I can find and use the compost out of them.

Might have to pick a few bits out, but I've been doing it for years for most seeds with no problems.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 13:25 »
That's a great idea, can get some good deals on growbags. Thank you!

bigben

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 14:14 »
I have always used B&Q multipurpose for everthing and findit to be ok. The only exception was when I tried to go peat free and found that it was very poor. The compost seemed to be shredded wood with extra glass, plastic and other unwanted extras.

So while I have little to compare it to I can say that you should be ok with a multipurpose compost.

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 16:19 »
The only specific difference between sowing/cutting compost and muti. is that sowing/cutting should have a very fine and open structure maybe  perlite, vermiculite or horticulteral sand added, and will have lower nutrient levels, so that anything sown in it will not burn once germinated, however anything grown in it will have to be potted on earlier. Multi purpose should have a higher nutrient level enough for about4/6 weeks, and will be a more course in structure, hence the larger pieces

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 13:46 »
 we used Wicks multi purpose peat compost last year for seeding never had any probs obviously put it through a sieve first

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 14:43 »
we used Wicks multi purpose peat compost last year for seeding never had any probs obviously put it through a sieve first

Yep! best thing to do if it looks at all "Woody"  :D

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 19:01 »
I always use John Innes seed compost and vermiculite but you could use multi-purpose  for small seeds if you sieve it first.  If you are sowing seeds like peas it doesn't matter so much if the compost is lumpy.

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 11:16 »
Well the seeds went in mid-Feb and not much is happening!
My leeks are starting to come through, and the broad beans, as are a few pansies. The rest (chillis and other flowers) aren't showing at all. Do they take longer to germinate? We have got them in our small shoe room/conservatory as were afraid to put them in the greenhouse because of frost. Not much direct sun gets around there but it should be warm enough. Is it bad seeds, bad compost or bad timing??! Or do we just need to be patient?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:25 »
Obviously don't know what your "other flowers" are, but chillies can be a bit slow off the mark, and do need more warmth than many others to germinate.

Don't let them dry out, but don't leave them sitting in saturated compost either - you could try finding a warmer place for them, and if they still don't show in another week you may have to consider re-sowing.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 14:24 »
I think one lot of flowers was snapdragons, and the other a mixed packet. Some begonia seeds as well but the compost they're in is getting a greeny tinge so think they may be knackered.
So it may be worth bringing them further indoors then?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 14:37 »
It's not that unusual for compost to develop a layer of algae, although it can also suggest the compost has been kept too wet (a good watering after sowing and then just keeping the compost moist to the touch is the best practice, especially for seeds known to be slow germinators.)

Increasing the warmth is the only real choice you've got now, but as I said before be prepared to re-sow if nothing happens after a week.

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:04 »
They've all been moved to the greenhouse now so will give them another week or so and then re-do the ones that didn't work. The leeks seem to do quite well, my main crop ones that were indoors popped up and so did the early ones that I left in the greenhouse. The only worry is the temperature dropping/freezing at night.
Last year we thought we got off to a late start so wanted to start everything on time this year. Now the darn things don't want to appear!

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
compost question

Started by Chrysalis on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2015, 12:33
by compostqueen
xx
Compost question

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 14:53
by mumofstig
xx
compost question

Started by binner on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 16:05
by binner

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 31 queries.