« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 23:18 »
Garlic drench in The AnswerBank: Home & Garden

2 Bulbs (not cloves) of garlic crushed
Add to 2 pints water
Boil for 3-4 mins
Strain mixture and make up to 2 pints again
Let mixture cool
Transfer mix to a suitable container
Use 1 tablespoon of garlic mix to 1 gallon of water when needed and sprinkle over leaves in the evening

I've not tried it myself but I'll give it a go this year.
A friend  swears by the plastic lawn edging as sold in Poundland. You wrap it around the plants and the slugs can't climb over because it's quite sharp on the top edge. You can also hold it in place by wrapping bare copper wire(stripped from old electrical cable)around it, this is like the copper tape you can buy at garden centres.  WAR ON SLUGS  ::)

I can't see how that would possibly repel slugs. One tablespoon of garlic to 1 gallon of water? The quantity of anything boiled out of the garlic would be tiny, and you are then spraying this micro-concentration of garlic over several square meters of crops. It all sounds like homeopathy woo woo to me.

I have actually tried spraying such a solution on my crops, and I couldn't see any obvious slug deterrant effect. Surely the garlic spray needs to be at a higher concentration than that. ??? :unsure:

Nobbie

Re: Garlic drench as slug repellent
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 12:36 »
Garlic drench in The AnswerBank: Home & Garden

2 Bulbs (not cloves) of garlic crushed
Add to 2 pints water
Boil for 3-4 mins
Strain mixture and make up to 2 pints again
Let mixture cool
Transfer mix to a suitable container
Use 1 tablespoon of garlic mix to 1 gallon of water when needed and sprinkle over leaves in the evening

I've not tried it myself but I'll give it a go this year.
A friend  swears by the plastic lawn edging as sold in Poundland. You wrap it around the plants and the slugs can't climb over because it's quite sharp on the top edge. You can also hold it in place by wrapping bare copper wire(stripped from old electrical cable)around it, this is like the copper tape you can buy at garden centres.  WAR ON SLUGS  ::)

I can't see how that would possibly repel slugs. One tablespoon of garlic to 1 gallon of water? The quantity of anything boiled out of the garlic would be tiny, and you are then spraying this micro-concentration of garlic over several square meters of crops. It all sounds like homeopathy woo woo to me.

I have actually tried spraying such a solution on my crops, and I couldn't see any obvious slug deterrant effect. Surely the garlic spray needs to be at a higher concentration than that. ??? :unsure:

I agree, I tried one of these garlic deterrent ideas to stop mice eating the peas and beans I’d sown. Soaked them in a really strong solution, but it had absolutely no effect. The mice seemed to appreciate the garlic infused pea and bean salad :lol:

Same with chilli, may work on mammals who have the receptors for capsaicin, but can’t see how it would affect invertebrates. My dog notices when any scraps I give him have chilli on, but it doesn’t stop him wanting more.

Always fun to experiment and see what works for you though.

rowlandwells

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 21:02 »
we bought some garlic spray on line  the other year if i remember it was quite costly to buy but  several folks have gave me a recipe both garlic and chilli mixes and from what your all saying if mixed properly it works someone also told me to add some cooking oil to the mix because it helps the spray stick and its also good for controlling aphids ?

well nothing like giving it a go but i think its going to have to be garlic puree or garlic powder and chilli powder her indoors would not be happy with me cooking up that on the cooker  :D

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 22:18 »
Last year I used a mixture of orange peel, garlic and chilli boiled and simmerd and used it on my brassicas to deter caterpillas and it worked a treat on slugs as well.
I have a similar mix which as mentioned will be used on carrots this year.

Did it work to deter the caterpillars? I'd love to find something 'natural' to keep the beasties off my brassicas, so I'm keen to know if this is worth doing.
Thanks

rowlandwells

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 08:09 »
i have to admit a bit hit and miss but it did seem to work when i got the rite mix and i found spraying before any thing got on the plants did seem to deter but you need to keep watching for caterpillar eggs and spray asap

I've been making my own this season garlic and chilli spray with a powder mix a little liquid soap and some cooking oil but as its only on trial i can't comment how it performs yet when i sprayed my brussels last year with the other spray with adding cooking oil added it seem to keep the aphids at bay?

as for slugs i use slug pellets little and often only on netted beds though and that seems to work ok

xx
Garlic slug repellent as per Gardeners World

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 13:48
by blue_cortina
xx
garlic as a slug deterant

Started by slopym on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 13:37
by Earthy
xx
Garlic as a Slug and Snail repellant

Started by Uzzy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 09:47
by AnneB
xx
Root Drench

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 09:24
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 32 queries.