What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #1035 on: April 12, 2011, 16:33 »
Not enough!!

Planted sprout seedings and sowed beetroot.
Cleared up bricks/bags of sand/rubble that Chris yet again thoughtfully left on 3 beds for me to move  :mad: :mad: :mad:
Moved all my bins out of the way ready for my new shed.
Weeded the strawberry bed
Planted 40 onion sets

Still to do...
Bed of peas
Move a huge pile of soil and nettles and weeds that Chris has kindly left right next to the shed and decide where to put it  :mad: :mad:
Sow lettuce
Sow beans
Sow turnips

I wanted it all done today!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1036 on: April 12, 2011, 16:48 »
Used the 4  kids I had on my hands to help me sow rainbow carrots, flamingo chard, canary chard and nasturtiums.  Got told it'll be a multi coloured patch this summer if everything comes up and figured that would be fine by me!!!  Thats all coz then they got bored. :wacko:

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1037 on: April 12, 2011, 18:05 »
Got some "living salad" from cheap shop ( not sure if we are allowed to mention names) planted under cloche in front garden -  though it wd cut and come again until own lettuce is big enough to eat.

Has anyone used this? am I expecting too much from too little work? - probably but nothing ventured. :unsure:

I got a frown from mr aqua - more  flaming Plants! ::)

grendel

« Reply #1038 on: April 12, 2011, 18:39 »
got nothing doneat the plot this evening, because I had bad hiccups and a stinking cold. when I get hiccups they can go on for days and with the added cold I was struggling to breath, as with a blocked nose and hiccups stopping me breathing every few seconds I was in no state to do anything strenuous. I did get a rotovator hire sorted for friday though so a slight something, and last night we got about 8 seed trays planted up with seeds.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1039 on: April 12, 2011, 19:13 »
broccolli still confused which is which as the cauli and brussels new leaves all look the same  :unsure: so mislabelled brocolli may have grown but sowed more of them just in case - bit late i guess but worth a try. will only find out when the head develops later in the year.  :happy:  brussel sprouts have grown their proper leaves so bit excited to see those!  :tongue2:

skatenchips

« Reply #1040 on: April 12, 2011, 19:20 »
after watering,I planted the pea pods that had popped out from the plastic container filled with tissue paper....great idea mrs mumofstig..im well into that as you can see at a glance
"wots appnin"  !!!!!!!!!!..and yes I was carefull not to snap off their spindly little growths.

sowed.........

50 parsnips in a large 2 foot deep plastic container full of a sand/riddled peat compost mix
heres hoping itll do better than lasts years "straight in mutha earth" disaster.... :nowink:

30 more autumn 2 carrot.

affixed trellis along 1 edge of strawb raised bed to grow sweet peas on and to use the posts for 2 x small hanging baskets for more strawbs.

mixed lettuce leaves in salad bed.

checked that the comfrey is growing nicely to make some tea with this season.

so,a few tasts sorted....and still plenty to do.

Gazza

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #1041 on: April 12, 2011, 21:23 »
Just got in about 15 mins ago from the plot, me and my little lad had a nice bonfire and a real good clear up.  I just chucked him in the shower and he is ready to flake out now.
Thanks
Kris

SkipRat

« Reply #1042 on: April 12, 2011, 22:06 »
Built half of a 30 foot new fence to the front of the plot, Built new compost bin, emptied the old compost bin contents into new bin then dismantled and burnt old comp bin.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Rene

what i did on allotment last night and tonight
« Reply #1043 on: April 12, 2011, 22:12 »
After clearing a bit more grassy areas and weeding in the garden of my new home since snowy Jan, its been neglected a bit as a 90+ old lady used to live here, but lots of nice cottagey plants coming to life but i want to plant a few of my own. I went down to water last night but ended up digging a trench added some rotted compost ready to get the peas in which have been growing in newspaper pots sat in a mushroom box on top of some compost so nice roots on big plants, hope there not too big though for transplanting in the next couple of days.
Tonight after tea went down to sow some more veg but my 4 week old pond water looked very red, i had discovered a building brick in there a few days ago and it was bugging me,as there was no obvious life in there yet and the mains water had been turned on at the weekend, so I decided i'd bale it out with the watering cans and use to water the plot, I had an old flannette sheet i was going to use as extra lining under the pond liner but didint need so i used that to wipe off the red gunge around the pond edges and shelves,  and put a new budle of staw in as someone told me that helps to keep the water clear, rinsed the oxegenating plants and refilled the pond. From what i could see in the darkness it looks a lot better and i feel much better too. cheeky robin came to watch me and had a little visit to the waters edge, hes not shy.  The other day i was on my knees planting a rasberry a neigbour had given me and a blackbird scuttled along the onions and perched on a stone, had a little look around and directly at me, i had a visor on like a baseball cap but no cap, so i suppose he couldnt see my eyes, he had a good dip in and out enjoying himself, jumped onto the wooden edge and wiped his beak dry, it was amazing to watch, wished i had my camera down beside me but darent move to get it. i love my allotment, my little piece of this planet earth. i measured it tonight 31feet x 40 feet all for £16.60 for this year, heaven on earth!
moonchild

elibump

« Reply #1044 on: April 13, 2011, 07:05 »
The Gaffer & I managed to weed the plot and sow:

Final 60 potatoes - Mona Lisa, row of broad beans - feve de Seville; 3 broccoli plants and 1 cabbage plant (Lisse/Lesse?) added to the brassica row.  Put some garlic to chit to replace the garlic the mole moved and which seems to have disappeared and put the sweetcorn to chit also.

Put extra 9 broad beans left into pots in case its necessary to replace any of the ones on the plot.

In the balconnaire at home managed to sow some 18 day radishes and assorted lettuces.

Guy who shares the plot went and watered last night for us - he has a pump to get the water from the river and use it with a hose pipe.  :) 8)

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

Thrift

« Reply #1045 on: April 13, 2011, 07:51 »
Very frustrating  :(  can't do anything yet .....

Springlands

« Reply #1046 on: April 13, 2011, 11:01 »

Thrift - just keep reminding yourself that once your knees are better that you will be able to do so much more than in the past.

sjjones

« Reply #1047 on: April 13, 2011, 12:46 »
Husband actually ventured up on Saturday to help me dig over the carrot patch, while I planted onions and shallot sets and sowed sweet pea.

Yesterday after work I sowed carrots, lettuce and radish and planted chitted charlotte pots.

Tonight I'll sow courgette, cucumber and squash seeds in cardboard rolls to start off indoors.

SarahM  :tongue2:

Thrift

« Reply #1048 on: April 13, 2011, 14:22 »

Thrift - just keep reminding yourself that once your knees are better that you will be able to do so much more than in the past.

You're quite right Springlands. I had a bit of a setback with infection but am back on course now. The doc was talking about doing the other one soon so it would be good to get it all over and then would really be superwoman next year.  :D

Hope your pains are not too bad in this damp weather. Rosemary

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #1049 on: April 13, 2011, 14:57 »
watered (everything was bone dry this morning) and planted some tomato seeds. Got to tidy the shed soon, I can't find anything in it!  :blink:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1611 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 21:59
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 32 queries.