Onions & broad beans

• 8 Replies

Daisygirl

Onions & broad beans
« on: September 23, 2012, 17:34 »
Please can you tell me is it time to put my onion sets into pots in the greenhouse and do I sow my broad beans straight into the ground if so when please?
Cheers me dears
Summer

allotmentann

Re: Onions & broad beans
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 19:20 »
I have planted my onion sets outside and I believe that you can sow broad beans outside now. I have not been able to decide from what I have read whether this is worth doing or not. Opinions seem to vary. :unsure:

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 19:23 »
Put your set's sraight into the ground. Broad bean's can be sown now but there's little to gain and lot's to lose by not waiting till next year.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 19:28 »
Broad beans never make it to my plot till January - I put the Aqua Duluce ones in seed compost at home between Christmas and New year then harden off when they are big enough.

I'd be leaving onion sets another couple of weeks before planting into the soil myself. But that's due to where I am.

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:05 »
my onion sets are in, along with garlic. My beans (aqua dulce) ive planted in cells in the cold frame, their just coming up, when the're a little bigger i'll plant them out.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 20:29 »
Ive took the plunge and set my onion sets in pots in the greenhouse today is it true that overwintering grown sets don't keep like the sets set in spring i was contemplating growing a variety called F1 reks but i settled for a T&M variety :mellow:

Ive ordered the following varieties for next year [moles]F1corrado- F1 cupido-F1 santero and F1kamal never grew these varieties before :unsure:

on the subject of broad beans ime going to grow aquadulce in pots to overwinter i know Christine says she sets her broad beans same variety between Christmas and the new year i thought about starting them at the end of October should i set these in the tunnel or greenhouse to overwinter :unsure:

Christine

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 17:56 »
Rowland you're a soft southerner - I'm rather nearer the Scottish borders and out in the hills.  :lol:

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 19:42 »
Delay sowing your broad beans until late October/early November. That will mean that they emerge and sit through the Winter with just a couple of leaves showing. If you plant them earlier or coddle them in a greenhouse they will grow too big and be too soft to survive frost.

You can put them directly in the ground but in my experience you are better to start them in modules and plant them out as soon as they emerge. That effectively stops mice from stealing them, although mice will also visit your greehouse.

If you find in the Spring that there are a few gaps do not worry, the neighbouring plants will fill out and you will not notice the difference come picking time.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 06:27 »
We're going to get our broad beans in soon, using seed from ones that cropped earlier this year.

Did I read somewhere here, that there has to be a certain amount of time before sowing seed from the crop from the same year?

xx
Broad beans and onions

Started by Mr Rotavator on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 09:29
by lancashiregardeninggal
xx
Broad beans, Cabages and Onions?

Started by Buzzy bee on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 22:57
by mumofstig
xx
Broad beans and over wintering onions

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 16:22
by Leedsniner
xx
Broad Beans and Onions over Winter

Started by BigA on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2006, 17:54
by daveylamp

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 37 queries.