Broad Beans and Onions over Winter

• 3 Replies

BigA

« on: September 18, 2006, 16:29 »
I've just joined the forum after having spent some time reading the postings.  What a great forum it is too - a wealth of information!

I am new to growing vegetables, but I'm hooked after growing tomatoes, carrots, runner beans and garlic and potatoes and sweetcorn successfully this year (at least I think so as I've still to harvest some of them).

I'm looking for something to grow over winter and found some broad bean and onion seeds (japanese onion) at my local garden centre.   Excuse the ignorance, but are these ok to grow outside (won't they get frost damage?) or should I grow them in the greenhouse over winter?

Andy

noshed

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 16:48 »
My broad beans were fine over last winter. You could always chuck some fleece over them if it gets very cold. I was a bit sloppy about staking them this year so it was hard to pick them, so it's worth bearing that in mind for the spring.
I've never grown onions from seed but I'm sure there's someone here who has.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

milkman

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 18:46 »
I've grown overwintering onion sets before which was successful until I plonked some spring planted onion sets in next to them which then seemed to cause some nasty black mildewy effect on both types which I think means you should plan to keep the spring planted and the overwintering onions well apart on your plot or grow either one type or the other.

I've actually just acquired some Senshyu Yellow onion seeds which I think I'm going to try sowing direct and see what happens.  The only trouble is finding a suitable spot for them without disrupting my very carefully planned and orderly rotation...

Have also grown overwintering broad beans - they have done best when I offer them some protection with fleece from anything resembling bitterly cold+damp+windy conditions.  Good luck.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

daveylamp

• happy planter
onion sets
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 17:54 »
go ahead and plant your onion sets I did last year and with plenty of neglect both the onion and garlic did me proud.
I'll beat this heavy clay yet. now almost there works well now

xx
Onions & broad beans

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 06:27
by Growster...
xx
Broad beans and onions

Started by Mr Rotavator on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 09:29
by lancashiregardeninggal
xx
is it worth autumn sowing peas and broad beans to carry over winter?

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 20:58
by dugless
xx
Broad beans, Cabages and Onions?

Started by Buzzy bee on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 22:57
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.898 seconds with 36 queries.