Mini corn

• 4 Replies

Nobbie

Mini corn
« on: August 05, 2016, 15:07 »
First time I've grown this, my sweetcorn is already showing decent sized cobs, but the mini corn has grown over 6' and doesn't seem to have produced anything yet. I was expecting a smaller more bushy plant, but these are just a single tall stem. Variety is Minipop F1 and packet doesn't state a height for them, but does say to plant in blocks which I'm pretty sure they don't need as they don't get to pollination stage.

Anyone got experience of this variety and what to expect?

Sparkyrog

Re: Mini corn
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 15:43 »
mine in a row and just starting to see cobs at 1400 high . It takes a while  :)
I cook therefore I grow

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 16:56 »
Minipop does grow tall and I think the reason to plant in a block is that you can cram them in and not use much space to get a decent crop.

It shouldn't be pollinated, so remove the male flowers as they start to appear.  I'm well south of you and  mine are just forming cobs.  I picked the first of them yesterday. 

Pick them as the silks reach their full length, but while they are still fresh and new.  That gives you a decent sized crop, but you can pick them bigger or smaller if you want.  Just don't leave them too long or they lose that special flavour and sweetness.  Pick one and eat it when the silks are about half out and see what you think.  They bear no resemblance to shop bought mini corn whatsoever  :)

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 20:21 »
Wow,

That was quick! Just popped up to the plot and there were silks galore  :D harvested 6 of the most developed ones after trying one raw which was lovely. Thanks for the advice above, I think I'll grow again, but plant in either a block or three rows close together as you don't get much of a crop of each plant.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 07:55 »
Success  :D 

This year I've got a double row planted pretty close together.  It takes about the same space as a row of peas would. I've also used odd bits of space before as planted as a block.  Either works, just cram 'em in  :)

xx
mini sweet corn ?

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 21:24
by gavinjconway
xx
mini sweet corn

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 24, 2017, 15:15
by mumofstig
xx
Growing mini corn.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 17, 2024, 12:56
by coldandwindy
xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 36 queries.