Drying Shallots

• 5 Replies

davesellars

Drying Shallots
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:52 »
Daft question probably but first year growing these...   I have some decent size banana shallots that are ready - just waiting now for the rain to stop to lift them!

Once i've lifted them from the ground, to dry them do i seperate the bulbs to dry or just leave the whole clump together?

I was thinking of drying them by hanging them from the crop bars in the polytunnel?  Would this be OK?  The polytunnel is left permanately open at the moment as I haven't got round to putting the doors on so the ventilation is OK...   + Ditto for garlic drying?

Goosegirl

Re: Drying Shallots
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:31 »
I separate mine, and it also helps with the drying process. I use my greenhouse to dry them in but have some wire racks that I put them on and take outside when the weather is warm so they don't get over-heated in there.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 14:50 »
Separating them and hanging them on the crop bars is an excellent idea.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:27 »
I have a really old veg book which states they definately should not be separated as soon as dug,but left in clumps untill the drying process has started and then separated. Apparently they dont keep as well if separated straight away...... :unsure:
I'm currently drying my first ever big crop of shallots on wire racks in a mini greenhouse because of the rain,and they are looking good....hopefully the promised yellow thing in the sky at the weekend will give them a good baking :)

davesellars

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:29 »

Thanks for the responses!  I read also they don't want to get too hot either (i.e, cook them so it'd be a bit of a concern drying them in the PT....   hopefully going to get the shed erected this weekend so they will eventually get bunged in there to possibly finish drying and then for keeping.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:59 »
After a few days drying out, mine will be in pickle jars, so I don't have that problem.  ;)

xx
Drying shallots

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 10:19
by Salmo
xx
Drying out spuds

Started by rockyracoon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 16:50
by rockyracoon
xx
Drying potatoes

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2012, 18:19
by Kirpi
xx
Drying garlic

Started by tillyt on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 10:17
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 29 queries.