What brand of Compost? 2011

• 196 Replies

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
What brand of Compost? 2011
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:12 »
what brand of compost have you been and got this year and what do you think of it quality and what did you pay for it.....

I have started using clover compost this year and find it very fine and fluffy and not bad priced either at £4.00 per 75l bag
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:27 by mumofstig »

Nige2Plots

Re: Compost
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 13:40 »
Humax at £3.75 for a 60 L bag from the allotment shop. It's the only compost I use for sowing seeds!

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 15:20 »
So far ive only bought a bag of jonh innes no 1, that was for my onions seeds, i will be buying some general purpose later on for my other seeds, but ive still got a bag of B&Q multi purpose in my potting shed so that should put me on for a while.
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 15:23 »
Any reason for using JI no. 1, rather than JI seed?

I'm not an expert - just asking!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 15:32 »
I believe there is very little difference between J I 1 and seed.  They do the same job, it is just easier for the newcomer to buy seed, rather than keep in their heads the differences between John Innes 1, 2, and 3.   (In my opinion).  ::)  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 15:33 »
Any reason for using JI no. 1, rather than JI seed?

I'm not an expert - just asking!

No reason in particular, it was £1 cheaper so i thought it couldnt hurt :)

ians68

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 15:41 »
I!bought cheap gro-bags from Lid- Supermarket, last year Rubbish!!! It pays to pay the extra and buy a quality compost

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 15:53 »
I believe there is very little difference between J I 1 and seed.  They do the same job, it is just easier for the newcomer to buy seed, rather than keep in their heads the differences between John Innes 1, 2, and 3.   (In my opinion).  ::)  Cheers,   Tony.

Have a look at this, then.

http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/soil/john_innes/john_innes.php

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 16:08 »
Humax at £3.75 for a 60 L bag from the allotment shop. It's the only compost I use for sowing seeds!

I had a very bad experience with Humax last year after all the bags I got had all sorts of bits in it I did complain to Humax and got replacements free from them. So this year I am using clover I fined it exceptionally good I’m on my 9th bag so far since end of November.[

Nige2Plots

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 16:15 »

I had a very bad experience with Humax last year after all the bags I got had all sorts of bits in it I did complain to Humax and got replacements free from them. So this year I am using clover I fined it exceptionally good I’m on my 9th bag so far since end of November.[
I'm sorry to hear that about Humax! Where did you buy it from? I have never had any problems with it, and did they tell you what the bits were?

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 16:27 »

I'm sorry to hear that about Humax! Where did you buy it from? I have never had any problems with it, and did they tell you what the bits were?

yes I did find out what it was it was from the milling process the screen they used was wrong so it was not taking everything out of the compost as it was been milled

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 22:05 »
I live just down the road from a Humax wholesaler last year it was £4.00 + vat per 75l bag......

I have just ordered a further 15 bags of clover which will be with me Tuesday that should last me a few more weeks.      :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 10:12 »
I've found that the quality of previously reliable brands has become very inconsistent over the last few years (I suspect the high demand, the temptation to use council recycled material, and the reduction in peat usage have led to a lot of "experimentation" with the mixes.)

The last bag of "New Leaf" MP compost I bought shrunk quite dramatically in volume when used, and the plants needed feeding within a few weeks rather than the 6 weeks or so usually claimed. Previous bags were much better.  :(

Westland MP compost "with added John Innes" seems to hold up better than most, probably due to the mineral content, and seems quite widely available (take a calculator; the manufacturers and retailers love playing games with the bag sizes and the multi-buy deals!)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sazhig

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 11:18 »
I haven't got any yet but will pop along to Hillers in the next week or so and see what offers they have on on their organic/peat free bags. The ones I had from them last year were fairly good. Definitely shan't be using B&Q again. Had some of their organic last year and it was terrible stuff, not properly rotted at all  >:(
Saz

Debz

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 15:13 »
I had some grow bags from B&Q last year and at the end of the season I opened them up to put onto the garden and they had big bits of plastic in them.

xx
What brand of Compost? 2012

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 09:18
by DD.
xx
Brand new bed - but what can i put in it now?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 13:23
by peapod
xx
Brand new out the box Gardener

Started by llINDA on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 17:57
by Yorkie
question
Brand new allotment

Started by BatterBits on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 22:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 30 queries.