Carrot fly in raised beds

• 29 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Carrot fly in raised beds
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 23:56 »
Hi,
Thanks for the responses TBH I didn't think about effect of the wind. As its so disappointing when they look good but horrid when pulled that I'll probably use mesh. Thanks for the reminder to cover when sewn Snowdrops
I haven't grown them often as previous plot had lots of stones but on new plot I've seived the soil in the raised beds as we eat lots of carrots and parsnips😁

Enviro mesh is the type you need. Carrot flies are quite small.

amiman

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 12:06 »
We have raised beds around 200mm tall 2 lots of carrots this year, no netting no carrot fly.
we used

Carrot Seeds - Resistafly F1 Hybrid

from Marshalls https://marshallsgarden.com/products/carrot-seeds-resistafly-f1-hybrid-10202408

AnneB

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 22:23 »
Carrot fly is endemic on our allotment.   Carrots have to be netted with enviromesh to avoid it.  Planting carrots in tall tubs or beds just doesn't work.

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2020, 06:44 »
Carrot fly is endemic on our allotment.   Carrots have to be netted with enviromesh to avoid it.  Planting carrots in tall tubs or beds just doesn't work.

Enviromesh is very expensive, Anne, so we used two layers of debris netting over hoops which worked OK!

It was at the edge of one of the beds where I watched a fly trying to get in, luckily there were enough pegs holding the stuff down...

AnneB

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 11:08 »
I think Enviromesh is worth the investment.  I have had mine for several years now and it shows no sign of wear or deterioration. 
I found debris netting difficult to get big enough to cover my beds and it all got a bit Heath Robinson trying to sew up the eyelets and use 2 lengths to get the required width

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 18:58 »
I think you're right here, Anne. Over the years, we would have kept the stuff in good nick, and made sure we could use it again the following season, but, on one occasion, we were driving to Tunbridge Wells, past a layby, and I spotted a huge heap of debris netting, which had been dumped by a lazy builder!

We took a quick 'U' turn, and there was a boot-full of the stuff, perfectly clean, and clearly a new arrival in the layby that day, as it was still wet from the night rain!

Well, what would you have done! I still have some left, but most of it went to the new tenants, as their need was greater than ours!

As it was used as a double layer, we managed to keep the black seam-holes apart, to keep a continuous cover, but it worked for many years!

amiman

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 14:21 »
In my last post I mentioned fly resistant seeds our crop today, no nets 200mm raised beds.

Seeds here https://marshallsgarden.com/products/carrot-seeds-resistafly-f1-hybrid-10202408
IMG_20201004_140922851.jpg

rowlandwells

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 17:34 »
its so maddening >:( when you drive by fields of carrots not a mesh in sight and you say to yourself how do they do it well its obviously a chemical spray not available for the home gardener as they say

snowdrops

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 18:49 »
In my last post I mentioned fly resistant seeds our crop today, no nets 200mm raised beds.

Seeds here https://marshallsgarden.com/products/carrot-seeds-resistafly-f1-hybrid-10202408

I’m sorry to say amimam but some of those look to have carrot fly when I enlarged the photo :(.  I hope I’m wrong!
I tried a fly resistant seed one year but thought the taste was lacking, might have been something like flyaway or something
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

amiman

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2020, 11:09 »

I’m sorry to say amimam but some of those look to have carrot fly when I enlarged the photo :(.  I hope I’m wrong!
I tried a fly resistant seed one year but thought the taste was lacking, might have been something like flyaway or something

Yep on closer inspection I think you ar right.

Eric44

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 11:52 »
I also have had my enviromesh for several years to cover my onions. At the end of the season I put it in the washing machine on a delicate wash, fold it up and put it away for next year.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2020, 21:31 »
I also have had my enviromesh for several years to cover my onions. At the end of the season I put it in the washing machine on a delicate wash, fold it up and put it away for next year.

Do you add detergent, or not?  And do you do a clean cycle afterwards without anything in, to wash away residues of dirt?

I've never quite dared put my manky e'mesh through the wash and it's a little green in places now ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2020, 09:55 »
I wash mine with soap powder on a 60d wash, I’ve usuall hung it on the line first & hosed off the worst of the muck, then let it dry a bit then in the machine. I’ve had some of mine over 20 years so although pricey it’s worth the investment. I’ve repaired it a few times, & the last time after I washed it I reinforced the edges & made button type holes every 6” so I could put membrane pegs through it with the sewing machine, it’s worked well but I bought new earlier this year & it’s still sat in the sewing room waiting to be joined up to suit my bed sizes & hoops that I drape it over. A job for after Christmas now I think lol as hopefully I’m having a poly tunnel & need to rejig a fair bit.

jambop

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2020, 11:54 »
I have grown some decent Chatneny and Torchon this year in my beds which are 30cm high and not seen any damage  yet but I do not know of anybody at all near me who grows carrots could this be a factor? My biggest problem was keeping enough water on the beds to get then to grow as we had a very hot dry summer one reason why they are not a popular crop here. The other thing I have noticed in the past is that when they have been in the ground into the winter the have shown signs of wear and tear  :lol: but those were in open ground.

Eric44

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2020, 13:39 »
Yorkie, I do use detergent capsules to wash it but I also put it on the line and hose it first. I wash at 30 degrees and I have been known on rainy days to pop it in the tumble drier on low. Still almost as good as new.

xx
raised beds and carrot fly

Started by MOLUSC on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post December 19, 2008, 22:57
by Trillium
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
raised beds

Started by merry tiller on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 17:12
by Sue32
xx
RAISED BEDS

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

75 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 15:27
by senrab_nhoj

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 53 queries.