swede

• 11 Replies

rowlandwells

swede
« on: April 02, 2019, 08:31 »
there are several varieties of swede to grow I'm trying Brora this season as its a new variety to me has anyone been growing this variety what do you favour as a good swede variety to grow

my Dad always said you don't sow swede seed till the end of may? also how do you sow your swede seed do you make a drill and sow then thin swede plants out that's the old way may gardeners still do it I've tried sowing in peat pots three seed per station then prick out to one plant they grew well but when it was time to plant them out I was ill and was unable to plant them out so they went on the compost heap so I'm trying the same method this season fingers crossed

any feedback on growing swede would be most welcome

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
Re: swede
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 09:08 »
Hi I have that variety to grow this year also gowrie and helenor. I am just going to do two or three of each as I haven’t tried any of these varieties before. I have always sown in modules then potted them up to grow a little more before planting out late June. Previously I have grown Marion and it has always done well with this method. I cover with mesh or butterfly netting because the butterflies like them. They sometimes get attacked by flea beetle that’s why I let them get bigger before planting out.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:15 »
Sowing in May, but into modules (12 to a seed tray size) works for me, it gives a little flexibility on planting time compared with using the very small modules.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 11:01 »
that sounds a good method of sowing and planting from module sowing it sounds like your producing good swede's and I take your point about the flea beetle I seem to recall my Dad saying about this anyway thats good info that I'm going to try this season and i must remember to sow in good  tray size moduels many thanks

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 15:25 »
Modules here too and not sown too early (before mid May) to try and keep the size of the swedes down. Usual varieties are Tweed, Marian and Wilhelmsburger (a green variety) although I've also got some Helanor seeds to try this year.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 18:17 »
Helanor and Tweed work just fine at the south end of Northumberland - sown mid to late May.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 06:26 »
I grew Marian last year, but didnt bother covering them. The butterflies left them alone but they were infested with these white flies that peppered the leaves with holes. The roots though grew very well indeed.

Trying Lomond this year, recommended for flavour.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 14:34 »
I just sow in a seed tray and prick them out when the first true leaves appear and sown at the start of June.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 16:06 »
Whatever variety I try, I always fail miserably.  I just can't grow a decent swede.  I get wonderful leaves, but the desired swollen root never materialises. I've tried direct sowing, growing in modules, growing early, at the right time and later than normal.  I've feed the ground, limed the ground and watered well. Still no swedes.  Every year I say "never again!", but the next year off I go again. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 16:53 »
Try putting a handful of Chicken manure pellets in the hole, before transplanting.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 07:31 »
Last year we sowed (?) Marian swedes late in the season, dumped half a packet along an 11ft row having created a shallow furrow. Our plot is on an exposed south coast site on heavy clay. We left it quite late to thin out and tried transplanting a few to fill gaps (nb, the transplants were rubbish, just compost them!) And we ended up with 10 big swedes by Christmas. Some had split a bit, probably owing to irregular watering during the hot weather, and the leaves were decimated by whitefly because we didnt cover them but it didnt seem to affect the root growth at all. We broke off any dead foliage and picked any weeds growing around them.

Made awesome swede mash but in the main we just cut them into batons and ate them raw, dipped in hummous as a snack. The one left in the ground, by the end of the year grew to 6" across and still tasted as good.

This year we're trying Lomond, similar to Marian but is meant to have an even better flavour, if these don't do as well we'll probably go back to Marian and make them one of our plot staples.

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 15:25 »
Try putting a handful of Chicken manure pellets in the hole, before transplanting.

Thanks, I'll try that this year.

xx
Swede

Started by wilbzfishing on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 12:20
by mumofstig
xx
Swede......

Started by ness on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 01:39
by Plot No 2
xx
3 1/2lb swede

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 18:45
by Ema
xx
Swede

Started by andyindevon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 08:45
by DD.

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 42 queries.