Little Chook had a broken leg...........

• 6 Replies

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
Little Chook had a broken leg...........
« on: March 08, 2011, 16:04 »
Hi All

I have searched for a similar topic on here but cannot seem to find one so I thought I would post one out to you all to see if anyone had a similar experience and what was the outcome....

I have a new breed called a fenton rose, a type of fenton blue. She is happily laying her eggs and has been for about one month as she is only a youngster.

The kind man who bred and hatched her took her in after she was returned back to him with a broken leg, pivoting from the hock or elbow joint (not sure what the correct term is in chicken anatomy !!)

He placed her leg in plaster of paris cast and kept her still for 12 weeks and so far touch wood I have inherited her and she seems to be coping very well.

I have had her since valentines day so we called her rose !!! and she seems to be walking less like John cleese everyday  :D :D

So, has anyone else had this happen and would Rose need any further treatment, complementary feedstuffs.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Oh I should mention she seems healthy in every way apart from this.

Thanks one and all

Broody  :) :) :)
if wishes were changes.......

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Little Chook had a broken leg...........
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 16:22 »
if it was broken and set correctly then she should be fine from now on, however I wouldn't let a cockerel near as the weight of him and his attempts to mount could injur a weakened bone.
Staffies are softer than you think.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 16:43 »
Hello Joy  :)

The breeder only let me have her as its a garden home with no rooster as he did say that, but what worries me is that she still squats and it must feel awkward.

Her leg was noticeably thinner at first but it seems to be more matching in size to the other one.

Thanks for the reply, its reassuring  :) :) :)

Broody

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 16:46 »
give her time she will get there and it sounds like you have a very good breeder there  :)

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 19:04 »
Joy, she is lovely! and from a little place called the chicken garden just outside Stafford, just a little place ,but janette is fanatical about making sure her chickens go to kind knowledgeable homes and clearly adores all of her chickens and ducks with a passion, which is so lovely to see in todays world.

:) :) :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 20:06 »
That's a lovely story!  Good on that breeder for taking so much care of a little chicken who obviously can't be part of her breeding programme any more.

Little Rose sounds like she's doing very well.  When I had a minor bone op a while ago I devised a healing plan for myself that involved extra protein for the first few weeks, a multi-mineral supplement for the next few weeks (making sure things like calcium and magnesium are properly balanced) and weight-bearing exercise once the bone had knitted.

I've heard of exercises designed for game fowl to strengthen their legs and improve their balance - maybe you could set up an adventure playground with swinging perches and have a little physio session each day!  :D

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:28 »

Great minds think alike!!! I have put her several blocks of different height to perch on and lots of lovely soft hemcore bedding in their run to encourage scratching and she has a dug over peice of garden which again is not too hard to scratch in !

I am putting some red tonic ( forgot what its called) into drinking water and just remembered I have the homeopathic remedy symphatum (knitbone) which may help in the water, she half flew of a wall yesterday and landed on her bad leg and limped a bit but she is ok today.

Thanks to all for reading the post and if it helps another chick with a poorly leg then thats wonderful  ??? ???  :)

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Broken Egg

Started by violet on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2008, 17:05
by violet
xx
Broken egg

Started by Suzybat on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 23:31
by viettaclark
xx
? broken leg

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 09:48
by yellowpenguin

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 33 queries.