site inspection

• 8 Replies

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
site inspection
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:24 »
We have a site inspection on June 2nd, it sounds very official , lots of rules & regulations "cultivation, structures & health & safety issues".  They've even sent us all another copy of the tenancy agreement, guess they're worried the last one was shredded & put on the compost heap.  Hum do we need to be worried?  :nowink:

mad mark

• Experienced Member
Re: site inspection
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:54 »
As Terry Wogan says "Health and safety gone mad, mad!!!"
Good luck, they obviously have not got enough to do round there....... :)
When is the flippin sun going to shine? 8)
Mad Mark

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 19:26 »
They'll probably be looking for:
  • how much cultivation as opposed to inactivity / weeds there is going on (taking into account the state of the plot when first let, and how long ago that was)
  • if you have structures, that you have sought permission for them (if required to do so) and they are according to that permission
  • that there are no risks to others from your gardening, e.g. ponds are away from public paths, no barbed wire, children can't fall into water butts

Just look at these sort of things in the tenancy agreement, assess whether you think there's likely to be any problems, and take action before the start of June.  If you're gardening well, and there's no real hazards on the plot, can't see you'd have anything to worry about.

Our plotholders don't get any notice of my ad hoc site inspection wanders!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 19:30 »
Could they be planning new rules also Yorkie?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 20:23 »
I'd have thought it unlikely - it just sounds as though that particular site's regime is to have plot inspections at given intervals or on given days, and if you're not up to scratch on that date then you take the consequences.  The tenancy rules will have been re-issued so that nobody can say they didn't know what was expected of them.

In any event, on a council site at least, even if they were planning new tenancy clauses or rules, I'd be surprised if a site inspection was part of it - there'd simply be at least a year's notice.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 20:37 »
Ok that clears up if they could do that with ours  for me too, thanks  :D

Christine

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 21:01 »
We get two site inspections a year here.

One is at the start of the season around March or April (yes we are a bit late this far north for the growing season) to check whether people have done anything over the winter in the way of preparation for using their plots. As this is the time of year when rents are collected it gives a clue as to which plots may well soon be vacant!

A second visitation takes place around the August - September mark to see that people have actually made use of their plots.  This gives a second chance to see that all the plots are being used or whether some of them need new tenants.

The two seem to sort out a lot of wrinkles in the system as when people turn up moaning and groaning in the gardeners association shed on a Saturday morning, them in charge have some idea of what is going on out in the "real world".

Gardenmunkey

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 21:08 »
Inspection? Whats one of those?

The site I'm on could do with a proper inspection as there are lots of plots which are not being used ..... and 44 on the waiting list!

The only time we saw a representative of the council was when they wanted to discuss taking a JCB across the plot and how they would rectify any damage.

The council should inspect ..... to make sure that tenancy agreements are being adhered to!

:D

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 09:02 »
In some ways an inspection is not a bad idea because there are a few plots which are just going to waste (one seems to be just laid to lawn which I really don't get) & few with a lot of weeds that could do with being checked & given that allotments are as rare as hen's teeth around here it isn't fair to people on the waiting list.

I just read in the tenancy agreement that we're not allowed to cut down or prune trees - oops! That slipped my notice before I did exactly that.  I cut down an ailing plum tree that had been planted right on the boundary only about 2 feet either side from an apple & a pear, all 3 trees were suffering as a result.  Plus on the other side of the boundary literally about 6 inches away, there was neglected attempt at an espaliered fruit tree which next door also cut down.  Why do people plant trees without allowing sufficient space for them to grow?  I also pruned a laurel that was on the boundary fence to within an inch of it's life, it was easily 15 foot tall & at least 6 feet in diameter.  Again, why would you put it on an allotment?  The council cut down 4 Leylandii conifers for me but didn't get the stumps out which is a pain.  And again - why would you plant them on an allotment?  Well, why would you plant them anywhere?  soapbox moment  :D )I'm rather hoping that they notice someone has planted a Eucalyptus, it doesn't affect me directly but it's going to be a monster when it's full grown.  I suppose that this kind of thing is why they should do regualr inspections.  ;)

xx
Help - Inspection in 2 week

Started by Arcky on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2015, 13:31
by mjg000
xx
Today's the day for carrot inspection...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 14:44
by GrannieAnnie
xx
I'm new here (failed inspection!!! passed second one but still.... HELP...)

Started by foxknocker on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 10:21
by foxknocker
xx
"My plot is ready for inspection Sir"

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 08:56
by sarajane

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 35 queries.