Advice needed Integrating chicks

• 2 Replies

georget

Advice needed Integrating chicks
« on: July 01, 2014, 09:06 »
I have 5 chicks 2 weeks old hatched under a broody.At the moment they are in a small ark within the main pen with the other adults able to see them.The idea is to let them out in time to integrate with the other 2 hens and one silky cockerell hoping that the broody will protect them.This is my first hatch so im hoping someone can advise me,is this a good idea or will they be under constant attack.Also at what age should i let them mingle,Thanks...George
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 17:06 by georget »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice needed Integrating chicks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 17:15 »
people do this differently and some wont let them mix until they are of a similar size as the other birds. I however when using a broody have let them out for short periods of time on grass with their mum from a week old. If the others get to nasty mum will cover them and take any pecks of the others.
This time i have been given 2 hens and 1 cockerel as approx 8 week old chicks so am having to do the introductions differently. They dont get to free range but are in a dog crate on the grass which allows the big girls to see them and give them a little peck through the bars but they are able to move out of the way. The big girls are more interested though on trying to get to their growers pellets rather than the chicks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

georget

Re: Advice needed Integrating chicks
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 17:21 »
Thanks Joyful,I think I will just keep letting them out while Im there for a few minutes and keep a watchful eye.

xx
Integrating new hens - advice needed

Started by Pony Girl on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 07:18
by joyfull
xx
Integrating chicks

Started by jhub on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 22:58
by jhub
xx
Integrating chicks

Started by tosca100 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 11:45
by tosca100
xx
Trouble integrating new chicks into the coop

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 08:09
by Sassy

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 35 queries.