Courgettes - all talk and no trousers!

• 21 Replies

Annie

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 23:03 »
My courgettes are producing slowly but steadily but I`m trying to ignore the squashes as every time I peer into the undergrowth the little fruits have fallen off despite indecent assault with my help.My best hope are some winter festival which have just decided to flower so did so with mostly female ones.I hope they`ve properly set as they are quick growing,tasty and long keepers.

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 12:10 »
We used to live in Bognor Regis and always had good crops.  Now here in Lancashire it is a different matter.

The rain has not stopped (well only for a week) since mid May.  The showers appear to be getting fewer, but they are much heavier.  Every time we go on the plot we wade through water.  Or so it feels.  

Never mind we get fresh veg every day so musn't grumble.  This evening we are going to raise a toast to next spring with a lovely bottle of wine.
ALLOTMENTNUT. GROWING EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.  JUST GIVE IT ALL A TRY!!!!

Lesley Jay

• http://www.vegetable-gardens.co.uk/forum
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 12:20 »
It's been bad this year hasn't it Allotmentnut? My courgettes, squashes and cucumbers all drowned with the rain and it has been really cold aswell. Fingers crossed for next year!

muntjac

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 14:15 »
one tip i think i need top pass on here is how i growm mine . i always make a mound of manure and then pull tyhe soil back over the top about a foot high allroaund .its a long bed maybe 10 ft long .i put in 5 plants and harvest when they get no bigger than 6 inches .later i will let them all go and harvest the marrows at 14 inches .yehh 14 inches before they stat to colour up yellow n ripen the seeds go harder and they taste a bit bitter  :wink: remember us  oldies always grow them on a compost or manure heap. higher than the surrounding ground .so higher than the water level  :wink:
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 17:03 »
Yep, my courgettes love the compost heap!  And i've got 2 growing in old multi-compost bags, standing on end.  A few rotted off, but not many.

Lesley Jay

• http://www.vegetable-gardens.co.uk/forum
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 17:22 »
Muntjac for the first time ever I grew them in pots. They were beautiful plants until the rain came. It was torrential rain at times with part of the garden under water and the pond overflowing.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 19:22 »
This year I just made a long run of Muck about 4" deep18" wide  and covered mine with weed protect fabric and planted through, they seem to be one of the few successes we have had this year.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Pea talk

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2012, 20:48
by JaK
xx
Talk to me about lettuce

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 09:33
by brokenglass
xx
Let's talk carrots

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2018, 12:29
by DD.
xx
Dont talk to me about tomatoes .

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

69 Replies
Last post October 22, 2011, 14:43
by LilacSandy

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 29 queries.