Talk to me about lettuce

• 22 Replies

Lardman

Talk to me about lettuce
« on: June 09, 2014, 16:18 »
Really trying this year with the green and leafy stuff but it's failing to win me over.   :wub:

Im partial to the larger cos leaves on a sandwich as they at least have a bit of bite but the rest of it seems rather - dull, I've tried various mixes but other than the oriental plants they all look and taste the same.   

What are you growing - how are you growing and harvesting it and does it have a flavour or even texture ? NB. Limp wet paper is not a desirable texture  :nowink:

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
Re: Talk to me about lettuce
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 16:34 »
know what you mean. i stick to little gem. and iceberg. something to get your teeth in. i like ballon. huge leaf for a sandwich.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 16:52 »
Soft types are OK in a salad because they can have interesting colour and appearance, but I wouldn't make a salad without other tastier and crunchier salad ingredients too (and a dressing.)

Mizuna is a recent 'discovery' for me - I only pulled it up in Feb because I needed the space for my garlic! Not a replacement for lettuce but does add a nice peppery flavour if you like that sort of thing.

I always grow some 'proper' large cos lettuces because I like the crunch and they make perfect 'spoons' for eating hummus, tzatziki, or mayonnaise!

Also grow Little Gem because they do have some flavour and being very long-suffering I can make one sowing last all summer into autumn by sowing thickly and transplanting in stages.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 16:59 »
If you like some of the bitter leaves in your mix (like the bags you buy) the Misticanza Quatro Stagioni mix from seeds of Italy is good IMO, and includes radicchio and thick leaved kinds of lettuce as well.
http://www.seedsofitaly.com/MISTICANZA_MIXED_SALAD_PACK/p1834925_8313048.aspx

Cut while small or leave to grow on as individual plants  ;)

I also grow it through the winter in the greenhouse - I believe Compost Queen does the same.....................

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 18:38 »
I bought some of the Misticanza mix based on your recommendation last year MoS  ;) It's the best so far (i've done 3 trays this year ) but when I cut it , it doesn't come again which makes a tray 2 servings  :ohmy:

My mizuna ran to seed without much leaf , although it did manage a thick chewy stem, were you growing outside Jay?

Am I expecting too much from young leaves - is it worth trying to grow a couple of heart types to maturity in pots  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 18:55 »
My mizuna ran to seed without much leaf , although it did manage a thick chewy stem, were you growing outside Jay?

Yes, probably sown in about early August - perhaps it prefers cooler conditions or just likes it here (hard to think of any other salad crop which just germinates, grows lots of leaves, and also survived what was admittedly a mild winter, all without any sort of complications.)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 20:16 »

We are growing that lot, love them all. Not sure what the top one is but its super crunchy with great flavour like an iceberg but not watery and flavourless

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 21:19 »
We are growing that lot, love them all. Not sure what the top one is but its super crunchy with great flavour like an iceberg but not watery and flavourless

It will be something like ice-queen, the old bloke next door used to grow that sort of thing but they take forever (2-3 months) to heart up. 

How do you get on with the guttering? It's been on my list of things to try but if I can only get one cutting it's a waste of compost.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 21:37 »
I agree , have tried all year round , leaves etc but they lack bite - for me the best is Webbs Iceberg - even picked  small they have a decent heart and bite - don't forget to succession sow - a couple a week - otherwise one week you will get a lot of lettuce ,, :)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 21:43 »
We love the guttering, we grow and take odd leaves and then once they really start to get too big we pop them in the tunnel or GH to finish.

That top lettuce has been really quick to grow.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 22:19 »
I'm growing a red lettuce this year, Lollo Rosso, after the family decided that this was their favourite.

Headgardener22

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 08:06 »
I grow a mixture of whatever seed is cheap at Wilko mainly coloured because they seem to be more slug resistant. Also grow the plants from the "living salad" from Lidl, 99p for 20 plants already grown to  reasonable size.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 08:15 »
Am I expecting too much from young leaves - is it worth trying to grow a couple of heart types to maturity in pots  :unsure:

The cut and come again loose leaf lettuces are a bit soft textured, especially as young plants.  If you grow them on, they will get a bit more texture, but won't crunch like a little gem or hearting lettuce. I would try a few hearting lettuce in pots to see if you think its worth it.  They will run to seed fast if the greenhouse is too hot though.

The spicy mixes which include mustards and oriental greens are my favourites.  Rocket is quick growing and good for pepping things up as well.  I've also got watercress rooting in a glass of water at the moment, so shall add that to the mix  :)

We love the guttering

We've made a living wall out of pallets and some scrap wood at work to highlight the veg area.  It has herbs, lettuce, tomatoes and strawberries.  I'll try and get some piccies as its a another idea that lets you grow vertically and seems fairly successful so far  :)

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 08:20 »
BQ your lettuces look lovely. I grow Lollo Rosso and had one similar to your top photo but can't remember the name it went to seed very quickly. What are the others you grow especially the ones in the middle pic?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 09:01 »
It looks like a Webbs Wonderful - a reliable old variety  :)

xx
Pea talk

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2012, 20:48
by JaK
xx
Let's talk carrots

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2018, 12:29
by DD.
xx
Dont talk to me about tomatoes .

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

69 Replies
Last post October 22, 2011, 14:43
by LilacSandy
xx
Courgettes - all talk and no trousers!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 18, 2007, 19:22
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.507 seconds with 38 queries.