Talk to me about lettuce

• 22 Replies

Beetroot Queen

Re: Talk to me about lettuce
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 11:35 »
BQ your lettuces look lovely. I grow Lollo Rosso and had one similar to your top photo but can't remember the name it went to seed very quickly. What are the others you grow especially the ones in the middle pic?

No idea some of those are lidl living lettuce and some are ours from seed. No logic in what went where, so all I know is they are all lettuce

compostqueen

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 14:22 »
Those little Icebergs that BeetrooQ  is growing there are quick to heart up but you don't need to wait for that, I just nick leaves off em.  I do that with lots of the various leaves, if you only want one for your sarni no need to pick the whole head

I'm with the misticanza fans.  Great mixture from SOI!  Also agree about mizuna, it's dead tasty.  Crunch wise you can't go far wrong with a Romaine. 

I grew Flashy Butter Oak last year, and as well as looking a delight in the veg bed, it's not a bad tasting either, crispy leaf too. I'm growing it again this year, hopefully.  I think soft leaf lettuce has it's place too, and I like that between two slices of bread when I'm in the garden or plot, just a wee sprinkle of salt  :tongue2:

Lettuce need not be dull  :tongue2:

AnneB

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 16:54 »
I am experimenting with red mizuna this year too.   I like Stoke, it's like a cos, but not quite,  upright, quick growing and trouble free.  I got it from the Heritage Seed Library, don't know if you can get it elsewhere.  I also like Bronze Arrowhead and Reine de Glaces (Ice Queen) from Real Seeds. 

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 20:56 »
Yes so do I, and it's lovely while titchy or I let it grow on to full size

Godhelm

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 21:55 »
I'm sticking mainly to the 'crunchy' types this year. Little Gem 'Delight' and 'Amaze' (the latter has red leaves), Romaine Ballon, Webb Wonderful. I have a French iceberg type with frilly leaf edges as well - Reine des Glaces, I think. Also Mizuna and some Mazur which came as a free trial from DR Brown - not sure that is a crunchy one though. Keep succession sowing to have e few ready all the time.

Snoop

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 18:10 »
It looks like a Webbs Wonderful - a reliable old variety  :)

Thanks, MoS. I wondered if that was the case. I've got some seed for that. Looks beautiful, BQ.

Lardman, maybe you could try Little Gem. Not too big for a small household but decent texture and very tasty. Mr. Snoop isn't much of a lettuce fan but he loves these. Very popular in Spain as a starter split in half, draped with a few anchovy fillets and any other salad items you fancy on the side as a garnish. If you want a big lettuce, as well as BQ's Webbs Wonderful, you could also try Marvel of Four Seasons. That's a good crispy lettuce with a bit of colour.

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 23:11 »
I was thinking this evening as I munched on a leaf of land cress that it's so much more zingy than lettuce. So for those bored by lettuce you could do worse than to sow Land Cress. It's spicier than water cress  :tongue2:  I put a load in my stir fry tonight  :)

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 09:33 »
Landcress also stands the Winter weather!   
Do you really need al that lettuce/

xx
Pea talk

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2012, 20:48
by JaK
xx
Let's talk carrots

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2018, 12:29
by DD.
xx
lets talk about compost's

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2021, 11:03
by Subversive_plot
xx
Courgettes - all talk and no trousers!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 18, 2007, 19:22
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 36 queries.