How do I stop them jumping the fence?

• 4 Replies

Feathers

How do I stop them jumping the fence?
« on: January 24, 2010, 02:16 »
Hi guys - I 'm a happy little bunny, as in the last 2 days my lovely girls have laid me their first eggs - however to counteract this good news the neighbour has come and complained that they keep going under the fence and pooping in her garden (there are 3 of them).  We have put chicken wire at the bottom of the fence now, but I cant imagine it will be long before they figure  ou that jumping onto the fence and then down the other side is a way round it.  Is there anything I can do to discourage them jumping up onto it.  They have my front garden, the driveway, the side garden and the back to roam in so they really shouldnt need anymore space.  They dont escape from any of the other places so something must appeal about pooping in her garden, (not that they dont poop at home of course :) .  Finally the thought of having to put them back in a run is awful as they have had a good 2 -3 months of roaming and I would miss them pecking on the window when I am sat down or jumping onto the stable door in my kitchen to see me :(.  HELP

Thrift

Re: How do I stop them jumping the fence?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:30 »
I wonder what height is your fence ?

Our hens would certainly fly up a few feet when they first arrived but now just manoeuvre themselves through any little gaps ( they just love gardens, especially those 'out of bounds' ) and it doesn't matter how much space they have, they still want more.

If it is a problem you may have to simply add height to the fence in whatever way looks acceptable.

Enjoy those eggs  :) :)

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:40 »
chickens can fly pretty high if they want to or have to , u can clip thier wings that might help but as suggested can u not make the fence higher . having them free range in such as area aint u scared of the fox getting them i know i would be , my girls have always been kept in an enclosed area and they are happy  :D.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 08:43 »
Can you put an overhang on your side? A rope parallel to the fence and between the two a strip of mesh such as used to protect fruit from birds. They're unlikely to try and jump onto the thin moving rope and the mesh is almost invisible. After a period of trying to jump onto the fence they're likely to give up - and concentrate on mischief somewhere else.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:42 »
Have they had their wings clipped? Clipping just one wing unbalances them and they soon stop flying over fences. As they mature they are less likely to fly anyway. :)

xx
Electric fence vs fixed fence...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 08:05
by nerdle
xx
Chicks, jumping at each other?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2012, 20:13
by symonep
xx
bantam's jumping ma hens

Started by kenny d on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 11:28
by Lost in France
question
Hens keep jumping next door - ??clip wings

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 14:46
by Blarney

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 35 queries.