2 sick chickies!

• 10 Replies

Beth

2 sick chickies!
« on: November 21, 2007, 18:45 »
Hi

I really on't know what I'm doing wrong but two fo my chickens aren't well again!

We've had the three since August and only one of them is laying. She seems very healthy, is the boss of the group and has not been ill once.

The other two on the other hand seem to take being ill in turns. Their poo is runny and at the moment yellowy and green, they have never laid any eggs (apart from a soft one laid a couple of months ago by one). They still eat and drink but their bottoms are incredibly muckyand they don't sen as perky as they normally are. At the moment it's just one of them like this but the other one was like it a couple of weeks ago.

We feed them on layers pellets and corn at bedtime. Their treats are pasta, apples, cucumber and tomatoes and corn on the cob, but these are not very often.

They've both been to the vet and had anti-biotics before which worked but I don't think they should keep having them. I worked them in August and they have never had any in their poos.

They live in their pen but are able to roam free for about 1.5 hours in the morning.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? or what I might do to help it?

Many thanks for any ideas,
Thanks

Beth

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
2 sick chickies!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 18:56 »
The only advice I would give you is more antibiotics.  Others will be along soon who may offer non-vet treatments.

It might be worth worming them again though, what did you use ?

Beth

2 sick chickies!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 19:31 »
I used Panacur from the vet. I understand Flubenvet is better as I can put it in their food?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
2 sick chickies!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 20:54 »
Yes your right Beth Flubenvet does go onto their food and there's no withdrawal period from eating any eggs.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Bodger

2 sick chickies!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 10:19 »
Not a nice thing to say I know, but if you have had long standing sickness like this, you may be best cutting your losses.

It sounds as though you have tried all sorts to get them 'right'. I personally and I know that this is not the route for everyone, would euthanase the to sickly ones and get some new vibrant and healthy ones in their place.

I understand that its not a matter of economics but a bad chicken eats as much as a good one. You should be enjoying keeping your chicken and not having to constantly worry about ' whats wrong with them now ?'

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
2 sick chickies!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 11:22 »
It could be the time of year, maybe moults etc take their toll and shorter days too.  My birds often have odd poos if they are roaming free they eat all sorts so maybe they just get an upset tummy like you and I.

Don't despair I am sure they are fine but if you are worried then maybe ask the vet if he think Euthanasia is the way to go :cry:
Good Luck
xx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
2 sick chickies!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 13:07 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
Not a nice thing to say I know, but if you have had long standing sickness like this, you may be best cutting your losses.

It sounds as though you have tried all sorts to get them 'right'. I personally and I know that this is not the route for everyone, would euthanase the to sickly ones and get some new vibrant and healthy ones in their place.

I understand that its not a matter of economics but a bad chicken eats as much as a good one. You should be enjoying keeping your chicken and not having to constantly worry about ' whats wrong with them now ?'

It's all a matter of view point isn't it Bodger.  Are they stock animals, show specimens or PETS.  Economics don't come in to the equation for pets  as you've said, and feed costs for a few pet hens are so low anyway that how much there feed costs is irrelivant too.  

If my dog was ill I would only have it put to sleep to save suffering, nothing to do with echonomics or stopping me worrying, only the pet dog's (or hen's) welfare would be considered  :D

Beth

2 sick chickies!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 13:24 »
Thanks for your responses, I appreciate them all.

I'm off to the vets tomorrow (she's really good) so hopefully she can help. I will have to ask the question of if they're suffering, as you said Aunt Sally, there happiness is the main thing.

They still want to roam around which I think is good, so fingers crossed.

Bodger

2 sick chickies!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 14:00 »
Aunt Sally.

You need to read my post again and you will see that I made it quite clear that I fully realise that it was not a matter of economics.The main thing with keeping chickens is that it should be an enjoyable experience and I would argue  that keeping chickens that have been ailing since August is not  conducive to that.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
2 sick chickies!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 14:10 »
I did read your post carefull Bodger  :D Thats why I said "Economics don't come in to the equation for pets as you've said,"

We just differ in opinion,  to me a hen is no different to a dog or horse who I would have treated if I and the vet considered it treatable.  I was going to have a histerectomy performed on my Gerty but decided it would be kinder to have her put to sleep.  If she'd been a bit stronger I would have had it done.  My pleasure or "enjoyment" did not come into it !

Just a different way of looking at it Bodger  :D

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
2 sick chickies!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 15:09 »
This is sort of coming from the"wrong side" and I actually have alot less knowledge about chickens compared to most of you, but as far as I remember poultry is quite prone to coccidiosis (otherwise they would'nt put coccidiostatics into battery feeds!?!)..  in cattle and sheep coccidiosis does not necessarily produce black/  blooming diarrhoea but can cause ill thrift and mild forms of diarrhoea in subclinical affected animals... possibly this applies to chickens as well, as cocc. generally is a factorial disease,meaning there have to be factors involved to make the animal suffer an  actual outbreak (eg: bullying by your boss hen, not getting to the feed etc). This would explain why the bossy hen is ok (this is all theory, as I sad I'm far from being an expert on this topic!)

unfortunately I've no idea of medication for poultry..  if I've time to look it up later I will

Good luck with it

Bell

xx
sick chickies

Started by betty on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 14:59
by betty
xx
New Chickies (yes.....with pictures!!)

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 12, 2008, 21:34
by chicken soup
xx
Keeping chickies entertained

Started by chickychick2409 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2010, 18:10
by chickychick2409
xx
Big chickens won't accept my chickies :(

Started by Carla on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 06:37
by New shoot

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 29 queries.