Water aversion?

• 6 Replies

capax

Water aversion?
« on: April 27, 2010, 14:22 »
Hi
We have 2 Light Sussex hens about 18 months now and moulting.  2 days ago one took a drink from their normal drinkers and after two mouthfuls stepped back in a surprised way.  Stepped up to drink again and then stepped back again as though something hurt her.  She has done this since then.  We phoned the suppliers and after some questioning they suggested it may be her crop but it doesn't feel full and she is taking in food and pooing too.  She is bright in every other way.  We have checked in her mouth all seems fine.  We did give her a few treatments of liquid parrafin as it can't hurt.  The top of her beak is slightly discloured and that has been like it for a while.  She has had white skin appearing on her earlobes for a while now and now the other is also showing this.  My husband thinks its Favus as he's been reading Avoid the Vet, but there are no scabs or other signs. Not sure if any of these things are connected or not.   
Any suggestions would be helpful
thank you

8doubles

Re: Water aversion?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 14:29 »
My light sussex does it , I put it down to,

1. The water is cold.
2. She is not all that bright and thinks that by going into reverse she can get away from it even though it has already been swallowed.

Don`t get me wrong it`s my favourite hen.............but daft. :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 16:07 »
the white on her ear lobes is normal some of my hens got it as they got older.  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

capax

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 17:44 »
It seems strange that she has just started to act like this particularly when the weather is warming up and the water is not as cold as what it has been in the past.  Its good to know about the ear lobes changing colour is natural, thank you. :)

capax

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:49 »
I've just read something about acidosis and wondered whether the warmer weather is affecting the water, we do generally add cider apple vinegar. The hen is drinking, but its only half of what she would normally take in, the others are quiet happy and appear unaffected.  We have changed the water, offered it with and without cider apple vinegar and in different containers, could she have got extra sensitive. It suggested using bicarb of soda, has anyone any idea of what quantity? 
Didn't know whether it was worth a try?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:52 »
never used it for my hens sorry. I use ACV in my girls water but not all the time, perhaps she does find it a bit strong for her, try just plain water or putting a crushed clove of garlic in the water. Just out of curiosity are you using plastic or metal containers?

capax

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 13:49 »
We do use plastic containers, I understand that metal ones don't react too well with the ACV mix.  We did try plain water and different containers too, and she still reacted in the same way, but will try crushed garlic and see if that makes the difference. thank you :)

xx
tap or water butt water

Started by RebeccaM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 20:53
by Roughlee Handled
xx
can they go in water ??

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 22:39
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
water

Started by feutty on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 21:48
by ManicMum
xx
Water?

Started by Louise on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 22:56
by slowef

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 29 queries.