can they go in water ??

• 11 Replies

R66VEY

• Experienced Member
can they go in water ??
« on: May 21, 2008, 17:22 »
my goslings are a week old tomorrow today they ve been in the swimming pool lol but they alright to ??

ive just put them back under the heat lamp to dry off will they be alrite ??

Vember

can they go in water ??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 17:30 »
they shouldn't go in water till they have their proper feathers as the fluff aint waterproofed the same.

They could drown

Be very careful an stay with them :)

Jellyhead

can they go in water ??
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 18:28 »
I had a similar thing with our ducklings. Even tho they had been hatched by a hen :shock: when they were about a week old they automatically swam in a tray. I didnt keep it too deep and they were fine :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

muntjac

can they go in water ??
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 18:34 »
sorry vember but ducklings swim in water as soon as momma leads them to it  :wink: they have tree ducks in the states where they are hatched in tree holles and jump out as soon as they are all dry  :wink: same with mallard etc  :)
still alive /............

Foxy

can they go in water ??
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 18:54 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
sorry vember but ducklings swim in water as soon as momma leads them to it  :wink: they have tree ducks in the states where they are hatched in tree holles and jump out as soon as they are all dry  :wink: same with mallard etc  :)

But they dont have tree ducks in the UK though!!! :lol: I had a lovely neighbour once - I am sure  he thought I was a bit "dizzy" though. When I moved in he told me all about the tree ducks that lived by a stream that ran down by the side of his house. I was amazed and spent ages looking up in the trees for their nests! Then he overheard me explaining about these wild ducks we had living in the trees to some friends....he laughed his socks off and said "No I said three ducks not tree ducks!!!"  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Jellyhead

can they go in water ??
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 19:07 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Vember

can they go in water ??
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 19:38 »
That's fare enough, I was just lead to belive that they were ok when with their mum,

but if brought up without then they didn't have same waterproofin.

I doubt I'll be takin any risks either way :)

muntjac

can they go in water ??
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 19:41 »
they do have tree ducks in special collections here foxy .and they wont breed if they are on the ground lol

muntjac

can they go in water ??
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 19:42 »
i have reared ducks for shooting and they just do what comes naturally lol  dodo n swim n eat " everyyy thing " :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
can they go in water ??
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 21:18 »
I'm sure you see fluffy ducklings swimming about at the park?? I know nothing about it though

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
can they go in water ??
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 21:42 »
When our goose hatched 2 goslings last month, she took them on to our pond on day 2 and they were fine, goslings that are with there mums have more oils in there feathers as they get the extra oil from there mums.  When we hatched goslings in our incubator last year we let them go on the pond after a week, on a nice day, althou we were watching them all the time, in case they got into difficulties and could not climb out of pond and needed some help.  If they are put onto water for SHORT times they should not get waterloged and be fine. :)  :)

They are lovely to see swimming for the first time.

clare

Kate and her Ducks

can they go in water ??
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 22:39 »
My incy hatched ducklings have been having little swims since they were a couple of days old and they love it. So much fun to watch especially when they dive. However I always watch them closely as they can get tired and waterlogged quite suddenly even after swimming for a while. As others have said they have loads more waterproofing if they are with their mum.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
tap or water butt water

Started by RebeccaM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 20:53
by Roughlee Handled
xx
water

Started by feutty on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 21:48
by ManicMum
xx
Water?

Started by Louise on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 22:56
by slowef
xx
Poo nearly all water

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 10:15
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 36 queries.