Advice neede on broody sussex please

• 9 Replies

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Advice neede on broody sussex please
« on: August 01, 2010, 20:57 »
Hi, My Silver Sussex went broody, and I was given 8 Bantam eggs to put under her. I put the eggs under her in the communal nest box, but feel that I should separate her as the other girls all go in to lay and one of them has broken and eaten one of the eggs!! What is the best way to do this? I can put a separate cardboard box into the coup and put her in that,  or should I take her out of the coup completely ? Any advice gratefully appreciated. I also have 2 x6 week old chicks, they are in a separate bit of the run in the day but go into the coup in a box at night, so its getting a bit crowded!

Spana

Re: Advice neede on broody sussex please
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 21:38 »
I have hatched chicks in a house nest box but had a grill thing that i stood in front to stop the others going in that nest box to  lay.  I took it down at tea time so the hen could come out and stretch her legs and eat.

What i would do now if you want to move her is put the eggs in an incubator, move the hen to her new coop and put dud eggs under her.  When she is really really settled again then swap the eggs over. But be prepared for it not to work.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 07:21 »
Many thanks Spana, I took the desicion to move her. I had a small hen house that the ducks were in around the back garden. I moved the ducks last night into a new area, which freed up the house. We then moved Peggy and her eggs into the house where she will be alone. On checking her this morning she is still sat tight! So I will leave her be now. Thanks for replying, its fingers crossed.

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 18:02 »
Hello again Anna. can i ask what bantys you are hatching?

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 19:23 »
Many thanks Spana, I took the desicion to move her. I had a small hen house that the ducks were in around the back garden. I moved the ducks last night into a new area, which freed up the house. We then moved Peggy and her eggs into the house where she will be alone. On checking her this morning she is still sat tight! So I will leave her be now. Thanks for replying, its fingers crossed.

It's not a great idea to hatch in the laying nestboxes as inevitably eggs get broken and you can't really brood youngsters in the coop.   They are best separated so you've done the right thing I think.
HF
Truth through science.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 20:26 »
Hi Bantymad, I'm sorry I dont know! I think they maybe Millfluere(sp) I went somewhere to buy chickens in corfe mullen and got given these eggs instead lol

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 20:35 »
so they could be sablepoots or barbe d'uccle millefleurs then  :D
I have lemon millefleur poots and have now just been offered a barbe d'uccle millefleur boy so am thinking about getting a couple of girls to go with him - very pretty birds these millefluers are  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 21:00 »
Oh, will be even more exciting when they hatch then. When i got eggs for my girls i chose for egg colour, Maran and Araucana, out of 12 eggs 4 araucana were infertile, and i lost one of the araucanas that hatched, all of the marans hatched and i had 3 boys and three girls. I have rehomed one of the boys and someone is interested in the others, so out of 12 eggs i have 4 hens. Cant wait to find out what you have.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 17:19 »
My broody refused to get off the eggs at all, so you may want to take her off a couple of times during the day, so that she can eat, drink, stretch and whatever, as they will often not eat or drink whilst sat on the eggs

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 16:12 »
yeh, thats whats happening! I lifted her yesterday, and she just went straight back on the eggs!! I even put the food under her nose so that she wouldnt have to get up, and she still didnt eat!

xx
Advice neede re pecking

Started by cheriton on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 18:25
by joyfull
xx
advice neede d please on keeping hens on allotment

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 00:29
by lucylou
xx
Broody Sussex?

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 13:11
by hillfooter
wink
light sussex broody

Started by GARRY on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 08:49
by GARRY

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 35 queries.