Broody Sussex?

• 10 Replies

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
Broody Sussex?
« on: April 28, 2011, 15:43 »
One of my Sussex, Florence (she's 9 months old) has been sitting on the nest all morning. She does seem a bit 'flattened' out. I know pure breeds are prone to broodiness but I've not seen anything about Sussex's being prone to it. But, I've only been keeping chickens for 2 years so still very much a newbie!  :blush:

Are Sussex prone to broodiness?

Thanks
Melody
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broody Sussex?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 16:16 »
light sussex's are pure breeds  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 20:11 »
Thanks-don't know why but I keep thinking Light Sussex are hybrids. Oh well, my first broody hen… I've read all the posts recently about broody hens in readiness for my orpingtons  :happy: looks as though I've got to put it into practice a bit earlier than expected!  :ohmy: thanks again

evie2

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 21:28 »
Must be something in the air, our Sussex has been sitting for a few days now ::)

As long as she stays broody I'll be happy because she'll have 12 poot eggs to sit on next week :happy:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:34 »
I have Light Sussex and they are a pure breed. However, you do see Light Sussex hybrids advertised - can anyone explain this?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 16:11 »
I have Light Sussex and they are a pure breed. However, you do see Light Sussex hybrids advertised - can anyone explain this?

I think this must be why I think Light Sussex are hybrids-I've obviously seen adverts for them as well.

Can anyone help on this?

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 16:16 »
light sussex hybrids are often light sussex crossed with a cobb I think - they look similar but the black markings aren't as black or as dense. I think there legs are a different colour too.

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 00:40 »
One of my Sussex, Florence (she's 9 months old) has been sitting on the nest all morning. She does seem a bit 'flattened' out. I know pure breeds are prone to broodiness but I've not seen anything about Sussex's being prone to it. But, I've only been keeping chickens for 2 years so still very much a newbie!  :blush:

Are Sussex prone to broodiness?

Thanks
Melody

They certainly are and one of the best broodies you can get.  Both Light and Buff Sussex are prone to going broody they make very good mothers and can cover a lot of eggs.

HF
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 00:55 »

Ignorance basically.  There are lots of so called breeders breeding chickens of ill defined parentage and aren't selected properly for good type qualities.  Light Sussex are used in many hybrid bloodlines being good layers and hardy, easy going natures.  As most people will have heard about Sussex the breeders will use the name Sussex as a marketing ploy to indicate the Sussex strain makeup eg Sussex Stars.  

As pure breed birds command higher prices more unscrupulous breeders may even call their POLs Sussex when in fact they are hybrids or first cross breeds.  I've seen such birds advertised by breeders on ebay and in fact they can often look like the pure bred bird and only when it is evident they don't breed true to type is it possible to identify them as cross breeds.  This is a practise to be deplored as it leads to confusion with inexperienced keepers and potentially contaminates the blood lines of pure breed Sussex.
HF
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 00:57 by hillfooter »

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 08:00 »
i wouldnt have though they would be crossed with a cobb, as sussex hybrids are for laying not eating.

Knew I had read about them somewhere:-

http://www.poultrychat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17429-light-sussex-purebredhybrid/

apparently according to the wrighter they make good dual purpose birds - henc ethe cobb to make them bigger  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 13:11 »
Hmmmm.  I don't know where you get the time to read through other chicken sites as well Joy.

This post you reference seems uncannily familiar to one I posted on here a good while ago :unsure:

HF

wink
light sussex broody

Started by GARRY on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 08:49
by GARRY
xx
Advice neede on broody sussex please

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 16:12
by Tattyanne456
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Red Sussex???

Started by Nails on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 14:21
by Nails

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 38 queries.