Why do people not like ducks eggs?

• 45 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Why do people not like ducks eggs?
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 09:51 »
I love duck eggs (and goose but not tried turkey).

Strange but never heard of anyone eating Turkey eggs.  Anyone ever tried them?  :unsure:
Jinty

Years ago we used to be in catering and lived near a turkey farm, so used to get really cheap turkey eggs. They make lovely light quiches and sponges, as well as scrambled eggs and omelettes, but the yolks are pale so you don't get the lovely rich colour. They look a bit "rough" too, and people do like smoothe and shiny, we used to find that people working for us were initially put off by the appearance.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 11:32 »
I tried selling what i labeled up as 'A Gourmet Selection'  All hens eggs but different colours.  I had a chart up showing the type of hen that had laid each colour. I had very little interest altho they looked lovely and people swapped the colours around from each box, taking just the colour they liked and leaving the rest all mixed up

I have a mixture of different coloured (hens) eggs that I take to work and if people don't get a blue and a white egg as well as the mix of browns in the box they're most unhappy!  Admittedly it did take people a bit of convincing initially that blue hens eggs would taste just the same as brown hens eggs.  Now people are converted!
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

pepsi100

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 22:47 »
I like duck eggs, goose eggs, and of course hens eggs, but have eaten gulls eggs and puffins eggs, they have all stayed down  :lol:

I reckon a quid for 6 is good, I'd buy a dozen a week,

I like goose eggs, but I rarely see them on sale and when they are, they are 2 quid an egg, its usually these people who blow and decorate eggs that buy them, they blow the egg and throw the insides away, what a waste :dry:

If I knew where to get turkey eggs, I'd give them a try, after all they are just an egg :tongue2:
It's all about the journey, not the destination

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 05:04 »
My local Market in leicester is great the best intact as far as I know anyway. there is a stall there that sells duck eggs all year goose eggs when they are in season and turkey eggs every now and then. 1.65 for 6 I don't think thad bad at all. for anyone who would like to try duck eggs asda sell 6 clarence court duck eggs for 2.35 or something. it amazes my that people hae never tried duck eggs they have been a staple part of our diet since we were little. 2poached duckies on toast ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 5:08 am not to early for breakfast is it? sod it off to the kitchen I'm starving now!!!!
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

orchardlady

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 19:44 »
It's really heartening to hear that so many people do like duck eggs. I will keep plodding on telling people how lovely they are and I'll give away the occasional half dozen to the unconvinced to.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 20:29 »
wish you lived closer to me - I could sell them for you  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 08:32 »
wish you lived closer to me - I could sell them for you  :)

I would have no problem selling them here. I live in a farming community and wonder if that makes a difference to the attitude to duck eggs? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

orchardlady

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 23:06 »
This is a farming village but also a dormitory for London, so I suppose I'm betwixt and between.

OL

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 20:16 »
I have had a few responses along the lines of "I don't like duck eggs, it's why I've never tried them!" but almost everyone else seems to love them. My girls can't lay enough.

That may have to do with the fact theat a lot of the people I sell to being from the Phillipinines where they are a delicasy and that seems to spread. As they are so clearly desireable to some, everyone else tries to snap them up!
No-one ever seems to be disappointed so it is just getting people started.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 20:30 »
I have had a few responses along the lines of "I don't like duck eggs, it's why I've never tried them!" but almost everyone else seems to love them. My girls can't lay enough.

That may have to do with the fact theat a lot of the people I sell to being from the Phillipinines where they are a delicasy and that seems to spread. As they are so clearly desireable to some, everyone else tries to snap them up!

If they admit to never trying them, How do they know they dont like them!?  :blink:

SocksOn

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 12:54 »
How can you know if you like something or not if you've not tried them? surely its fear more than anything else - I love duck eggs and if I had the space I would get some too.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 16:16 »

If they admit to never trying them, How do they know they dont like them!?  :blink:

That's the response you expect from young children, not adults who ought to broaden their culinary horizons ever so slightly!  If you've tried something and don't like it, fair enough!  :nowink:

lou-b-lou

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 15:52 »
It is a shame you don't live near me - I would buy them! At £1 a box they are a bargain!

You cannot beat a lovely boiled duck egg with toast soldiers!!

How about putting a sign out with them with a picture of a boiled egg and the top chopped off with yoke dripping down - maybe people just don't realise that you you can use them in exactly the same way as hen's eggs?

evie2

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 17:53 »
I remember visiting my aunt when I was very young and being taken to see the duck egg her next door neighbour was having for tea ::) :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

jamima

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 10:20 »
I love duck eggs wish you lived nr us :)

xx
How many eggs are people getting

Started by davidmw on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 13:16
by bantam novice
xx
Ducks for eggs

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 19:21
by Topscaff
question
octagon 10 and ducks eggs...

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 07:39
by chooknewbie
xx
Ducks eggs expired???

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 19:49
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 32 queries.