Ducks eggs expired???

• 5 Replies

Prod

Ducks eggs expired???
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:18 »
Yet another question ( I don't know what I would do without this site!!!!)  My call duck has hatched 8 out of 11 (sunday) eggs and the brood are well and getting on with things however the other 3 eggs are still in the nest. At what point should I remove them as it looks like they are not going to hatch???? Thanks in advance!!!!

Title edit for search puposes
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:56 by mumofstig »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Duks eggs expired???
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:50 »
If Mum is only leaving the nest for an hour at a time they might still be viable.  If she has abandoned the nest I would remove them. 

If removing them I would candle them to see if there was any development.  If they look fully formed have a listen for any signs of life.  If they are still viable there may be a slim chance you may be able to get them to hatch in an incubator.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:33 »
At the moment she just leaves the nest for a bout 20 mins at a time and the eggs are still warm. I ll keep an eye on things  and see what happens.  Unfortunately I don't know how to candle & don't have an incubator, I was letting nature take its course with this hatching....

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:55 »
She must still think they have a chance or she would just abandon them or roll them out of the nest.

Hillfooter posted about making your own candler, here is the LINK   ;)

Prod

Re: Ducks eggs expired???
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 19:00 »
Connie has know rolled all 3 eggs out of the nest. They were heavy(ish) and I could see dark brown matter in them  but I have got rid. She has actually left the nest and is now on the other side of the coop with the ducklings under her wings.  I don't think 8 out of 11 is bad for her first brood.   Do call ducks only hatch one brood a year???

ANHBUC

Re: Ducks eggs expired???
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 19:49 »
That is a good hatch rate.  Sorry I don't know if they can hatch more than one brood per year.  Hopefully someone else will advise you on that.   :)

xx
Ducks for eggs

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 19:21
by Topscaff
question
octagon 10 and ducks eggs...

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 07:39
by chooknewbie
xx
Why do people not like ducks eggs?

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

45 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 15:34
by orchardlady
xx
Ducks eating their own eggs??

Started by two webbed feet on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 16:22
by two webbed feet

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 27 queries.