Ducks for eggs

• 8 Replies

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
Ducks for eggs
« on: May 08, 2011, 19:42 »
Hi I am thinking of getting a couple ducks just for eggs, but will I be able to keep them together and will they need water, what is the best breed for egg laying? thanks
Mike Rixon

Sassy

Re: Ducks for eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:11 »
You would be able to keep the ducks together, in fact it would be cruel to keep them separately. One of the best egg laying ducks is the Khaki Campbell and Runner ducks come a close second. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:12 »
I am resisting stating the obvious .... oh I can't ... the best ducks for eggs are the female ones  ::) now I have that out of my sad system, yes they need water, not necessarily a pond or a lot but at least enough for them to swish their heads around in.  Recycled childrens rigid paddling pools are often used, a sink/bath sunk into the ground are other options too as well as purpose made shallow apddle pools from poultry suppliers :)

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 17:36 »
We had three Khaki Campbells for about 6 months and had 3 eggs a day for the duration (except when it was really snowy).

They didn't have a pond but we had a large plastic container for them to paddle in and wash etc.  They do need something.  This had to be emptied daily though.

The added benefit of Khakis is that they're quiet (ish) ...

One thing we found though was that, by not keeping them in water (and thus them not eating the algae) the eggs didn't have that usual strong taste which was a bit disappointing.  We also found that they weren't as nice as chicken eggs in general - didn't poach as well etc.  However, they're great for baking.

Just thought I'd mention that - maybe it's not relevant to you!

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 20:29 »
Thanks everyone for your replies, I feel a bit of a fool now  :ohmy: when I said keep them together I ment with my chickens I have seven welsummer hens and a cockerel, sorry for not mentioning this in the first place, Mike

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 20:51 »
I keep both hens and ducks and the ducks have their own house. The reason I chose this way was because ducks have very wet poo and your hen house will very rapidly become revolting. I fluff up the ducks bedding each day to help maintain it's friability. Also because the ducks would not be able to get up into the hen house and lastly as ducks don't roost I felt it was a bit unfair to ask them to sleep somewhere where they would be pooped on ever night from on high.
Depending on how you keep your hens, ducks and hens can live perfectly happily together but you know the saying 'Birds of a feather flock together'. All my birds (ducks and hens) free range in a good sized field and the ducks clearly stay together in their own ducky group. I use a rigid plastic paddling pool and change the water every day. This is fine for me as I'm able to move it around the field and so don't get muddy over ducked areas but you will need to consider water disposal if you are going to confine them.

Orchardlady.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 08:48 »
We didn't keep our hens and ducks in the same run/house but did used to let them out in the garden together.  They generally ignored each other although if one came too close to the other sometimes there would be a little pecking (or whatever ducks do..).  I think the main considerations are what Orchardlady said below - the mess ducks make, the fact they don't roost and also if you DO have any sort of pond, then hens have been known to drown themselves by going in there.

Hens aren't as good as ducks at living in a damp/wet/muddy environment either..

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 14:19 »
An over amorous drake living with hens can be a problem!! But not always :ohmy: :ohmy:

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 19:21 »
Thank you all for your replies.

question
octagon 10 and ducks eggs...

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 07:39
by chooknewbie
cheesy
Ducks sitting on eggs

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 13:41
by Honeysuckle
xx
Ducks eating their own eggs??

Started by two webbed feet on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 16:22
by two webbed feet
xx
Ducks eggs expired???

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 19:49
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 30 queries.