Why do people not like ducks eggs?

• 45 Replies

orchardlady

Re: Why do people not like ducks eggs?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 19:22 »
Well Gold finger .I'm no expert on duck eggs s these ladies only joined me in the late Summer but when I bake a bog standard Victoria Sandwich cake 8oz of everything I've found that 2 ducks eggs and 1 chickens egg make a fab cake. I tried with 3 ducks eggs but the resulting cake was very dense but still lovely. We tend to dry fry the ducks eggs on the slow ring of the Aga on 'Bake o Glide' and put the lid down half way through the cooking. This can also be achieved in a non stick frying pan.

I think the idea suggested by Spana to put some out free of charge is a good idea although you didn't get a good response it might be worth a try. I might also try putting a note in my chicken egg boxes suggesting people buy some duck eggs to and if they don't like them I'll refund their money no questions asked.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 21:27 »
That is very cheap for ducks eggs so I'm very surprised as well. They are better for baking with than hens eggs  :)

Could you please tell me more........

Because, did anyone see HFW and the River Cottage Christmas special??

The girls baking the breads added eggs to some loafs (plus fruit I think), than just doing the normal 'flour, yeast and water' method.

I have a breadmaker and some of the recipes say you can add an egg in place of the equal amount of water.  I have only tried it with a fruit loaf, and it does tend to give a slightly denser, more cakey texture than water alone.  Of course it adds some lovely colour to the loaf as well.

I second (or third?) the try-before-you-buy suggestion.  I have never tried a duck egg, and as far as I know I have never seen one for sale.  If someone offered me one and said, "take this home and try it." I might be a bit daunted.  But if someone gave me a piece of cake or loaf and told me it was made with duck eggs I would be keen to try.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 21:51 »
My father used to have them but that was quite a while ago.
Must be nigh on 400+ years Aunty. :ohmy:
Cheese makes everything better.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 22:02 »
Don't tell everyone Ice ::)

Goldfinger

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 05:45 »

Thanks orchardlady and joyful for that wee bit of info. But yet again, OH said 'don't like duck eggs'.

She's never tried any, that I'm aware of!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 07:38 »
I take my eggs for some people at my slimming club and when they first saw the araucana eggs they all thought they were duck eggs as they are blue (yes I know not all duck eggs are duck egg blue but a lot of people don't realise that  ::)), and they all went mad for them. Some people who are allergic to hens eggs can eat duck eggs. I'm sure if I had ducks laying eggs they would sell like mad around here  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Swing Swang

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 08:53 »
Just some observations

Duck's eggs are different - but your initial problem is getting people to try them, rather than educate them to a different taste - maybe a laminated sign with recipe's/pictures/testimonials would get people interested. Maybe you should sell them at a premium when compared with hen's eggs, and market them as a 'gourmet product'. You could then offer them on promotion without devaluing the product, or your future sales margins for that matter.  For example customers could be urged to buy a dozen hen's eggs and get four duck eggs free etc. Just some thoughts.

@8doubles 'To see how popular BLAND is ...'
Whilst I agree with your comment the flip/positive side of 'bland' is 'neutral'.
It is understandable that a the thought of a strong flavour could put some people off, especially if potential customers fear that the new product will in some way 'taint' their cooking or give the final product an unlooked for 'tang'.
Very few of us would always use honey instead of sugar because we often want a neutral sweetener without a strong flavour even though honey would be considered by most to be a superior product.
Still cant bring myself to use plain white sliced bread made according to the 'Chorleywood process' and sold in plastic bags. YUK!

elibump

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 12:13 »
My father used to have them but that was quite a while ago.
Must be nigh on 400+ years Aunty. :ohmy:

I was going to say must be about 21 years as we all know AS is only 21 herself but Ice beat me to the age thing.  Oh well

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 12:46 »
Oh yes Eli,  a good coat of Sadolin every spring keeps me looking young ;)

elibump

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 13:08 »
And, no doubt, a good rub down with an oily rag by Worzel?   ;)

Eli xx

(Just re-read that and realise it doesnt sound too 'wholesome'.  Sorry AS) :blush:

Thrift

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 13:24 »
The main difference I find between hen and duck eggs is that the white of a duck egg is much thicker and more glutinous. Very little difference in flavour.

Amazing the amount of people declaring ' I don't like duck eggs'! Usually they have never tried them.  ::)

cornishgirl

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 15:34 »
I have the constitution of an ox - but ducks eggs make me really ill eaten as eggs. Baked in cakes though they are fine. Possibly one of the reasons people don't like to buy them is that there is (in their minds) a chance they are fertile (because ducks are thought of as wild birds). Some of my neighbours wouldn't buy free range hens eggs because they were afraid they would find a chick in one. I now have a seperate flock of hens only just for them and vegetarians who ask about the eggs provinance.

Goldfinger

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 17:54 »

I sooooo want to try some duck eggs now!!  :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 19:12 »
we buy duck eggs the make a lovely Yorkshire pudding bacon and duck eggs for breakfast
cakes duck egg om-lit lovely grub :lol:

Spana

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 21:31 »
I tried selling what i labeled up as 'A Gourmet Selection' :lol: All hens eggs but different colours.  I had a chart up showing the type of hen that had laid each colour. I had very little interest altho they looked lovely and people swapped the colours around from each box, taking just the colour they liked and leaving the rest all mixed up >:(

xx
How many eggs are people getting

Started by davidmw on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 13:16
by bantam novice
xx
Ducks for eggs

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 19:21
by Topscaff
cheesy
Ducks sitting on eggs

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 13:41
by Honeysuckle
question
octagon 10 and ducks eggs...

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 07:39
by chooknewbie

Page created in 0.771 seconds with 38 queries.